removal of rack pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removal of rack pinion

***First of I search for rack pinion on here and none of the post had the info I needed.

RackPinion.png

in the horrible drawing I did I have in red what I've undone.
    I have undone and removed both inner/outer tie rods and they're completely separated from the car, I have undone 4 bolts holding the rack pinion to the firewall, so the rack pinion hangs freely. I've tugged a few times and cut the zip-tie around the boot to the firewall (steering column inside?) but nothing still stuck. I have a haynes manual and they only show pictures of the bolts holding it to the firewall. I'm unable to figure out what to do and am afraid to break something, I'd really appreciate any help.

Also I currently have the engine/tranny out and am in the middle of a swap so I have plenty of room.

Remove the bolt on the steering knuckle that connects to the steering column. The rack will then come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Originally posted by dalebwilson View Post
      Remove the bolt on the steering knuckle that connects to the steering column. The rack will then come out.

thanks for the response!
      is this bolt on the rack or on the other side of the firewall in the car?

Comment

It is on the rack side. It is under a rubber boot
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
        19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

You may have to turn the steering wheel to find the nut.

Comment

Thanks for helping me find the bolt, it was really really hard to get to because of the boot so I had to use a ratcheting 12mm wrench.
            IMG_20161118_002508[1].jpgIMG_20161118_002328[1].jpg

Now I'm having an issue reattaching the rack pinion, I couldn't get it back in the hub so I took the connection off from behind the firewall and connected it to the rack, bolted the rack in and now am having trouble reconnecting to to the column. can anyone offer any advice?
            IMG_20161123_002204[1].jpg

Comment

You will have to find some slack somewhere. You can do one of 2 things. Loosen the bolts up on the rack and let it drop down a bit. Or, loosen the bolts on the steering column and pull it up a bit. Either way, make sure the rack is centered equally on both sides and make sure the steering wheel is centered before you bolt on the knuckle.

Comment

I unbolted the column top and bottom from the inside by the pedals and let it hang. Might have to remove the bottom half of the steering column plastic housing behind the steering wheels and then a steel brace from the dash to gain access to the column. Pretty simple and shouldn't take much time. Just be careful when threading the bolts back in to the column support that you don't cross-thread them.

Comment

I had a friend hold the wheel while i pushed the rack onto the knuckle with it unbolted. i put the bolt in enough to make it stay i then bbolted the rack down. The boot made it crazy hard ho.
                  1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                  1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                  1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                  19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                  1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
                    I had a friend hold the wheel while i pushed the rack onto the knuckle with it unbolted. i put the bolt in enough to make it stay i then bbolted the rack down. The boot made it crazy hard ho.
                    That boot! What a pain!

Comment

^^^ yes for a piece of rubber, it sure is a pain is the but, take your time and take several Bud breaks, you will get it.
                      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Working...
                      X