Check engine light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check engine light

Ok, here is what is happening. Took 93 Festiva out for drive, got couple miles from home and CEL came on. Turned around, stopped at Autozone, they cant put a code reader on car which I actually knew before went in. Went out, started car back up, light was off. Drove for about another 2-3 miles and light came on. Drove like that for about ten miles. Stopped at daughters house, unhooked negative cable. Waited couple minutes for everything to reset, started car, light off. Drove for mile and light came back on. Stayed on all while home for 10 miles. Came in, got on sight, to see how to check codes. Went out, I have two female plugs hanging there, one gray that is beside a three prong grey plug and on white plug by itself. Hooked ground wire to grey, turned key on, light stayed on for about 3 seconds and then went off and stayed off. Hooked to white plug, turned key on, light stayed on so figured grey plug was right one. So tried grey plug again, same thing, light comes on for about three-four seconds and goes off and stays off. Unhook wire, turn key on, light comes on, start car, light goes off. Checked o2 sensor wire, hooked up and looks good. This is first time light has come on in 14 years and I did change 02 sensor about ten-eleven years ago and put on new catalytic converter and muffler about same time. Checked plug wires, all good. Changed plugs and wires and coil about 2 years ago. Any suggestions????
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

What, no one has any inkling as to what it might be???
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Personally I change O2 sensors every time I do a tuneup. I consider it the 5th spark plug. I'd recommend you do it just on general principles, code or no code. It might be in the process of failing, so only would throw a code sometimes, and you haven't caught it.

Get a Denso 234-1000 and splice it in yourself. $10.90 @ Rock Auto (do a parts search on 2341000). Use anti-seize!
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks tominMo. I just got back from getting plugs and rotor and wires. I got an 02 sensor coming in next couple days. I was just curious to why it only flashed for couple seconds and then went off and then nothing. I'll let you know.
        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Is the car running any differently when the light appears? If not then I would try the o2 sensor first just because it is cheap and easy to change if you have the correct size wrench and it isn't seized.
          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
          sigpic
          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Car runs same with light on or off. I changed the o2 sensor about 5 years ago I believe so it should not be seized up. I have wrench to do it. Like I said, im going to do complete tuneup on it to see plus change sensor.
            01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

I doubt that it would throw an engine code but I would change the Fuel Filter while you are doing your Tune-Up just because it is good to do it every once in a while.
              sigpic
              "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

I put a new o2 sensor on a bunch of years ago. I think it was denso or maybe bosch. Fixed my cel but lost 14mpg. So every time i went to the junkyard i took the o2 sensors off festivas. I think i got 8 and only 3 including my first have gone bad. My theory on them is that if they dont throw a code and you gas milage doesnt go down or up just leave it. But thats just me. I have changed my fuel filter twice as well. First one had 250,000km on it and second time like 200,000km. Both times i could blow through them easily. Their relatively big filters and our cars dont go through a lot of gas. Its good to change at least once so you know when it was done. If you use sketchy gas maybe change it. But ive used fuel from a lot of farms, native reserves and gerry cans and mine were ok.not much in my gas tank for debries either.
                Are you sure its the correct connecters your jumpering? Seems odd that its not flashing a code

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I changed my Fuel Filter when I first got mine and it had 147k miles on it. When I took it off I blew it out with the air compressor and captured it in a glass, it looked like chocolate milk lol. (Make sure you don't use super high pressure to keep gas from blowing everywhere)

They might not be clogged but still are saturated with filth so It is good to change them every once in a while. My Ford F-250 has 2 fuel filters and the manual wants them changed every 15k miles, on the other hand my Nissan Sentra does not have a fuel filter other than the sock on the fuel pump...
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, I put in new plugs, new wires, new dist cap, put some seafoam in tank and went for 25 mile ride. Light didn't come on once. I had it up to 75 for short and ran smooth as silk. I did find that one of plug wires where it connected to plug was real loose on wire but I doubt that would have cause it. I changed the fuel filter about three months ago when I changed the oil which is my rule of thumb anyway. I also change fuel filter on my F-150 every 6 months when I change oil. So whatever it was, light didn't even flicker on. So I'll take it out again later and check it out. I have an o2 sensor ordered and soon as it gets here I'll change that out just so I know it has been done. Thank you all for suggestions and help. Really appreciate it.
                    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Still have he original O2 sensor and catalytic converter on my carb'd '89 so doubt age is a problem. Only 130k km on the car so don't know how much milage is an issue. If it ain't broke don't fix it is my rule.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                        If it ain't broke don't fix it is my rule.
                        My motto is: "If it's unecessary, then just get rid of it."
                        The only thing my check engine light is used for is a visual reminder that my twin choke cable is still engaged.

Comment

My apologies if I missed it....but did you ground the diagnostic plug and read the CEL codes?
                          "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
                          “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Brave writes: My motto is: "If it's unecessary, then just get rid of it."
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yes dalebWilson I did check codes. When I put wire on connecter and turned key on, the light came on for three to four seconds and go out and not come on again. No flashing after it went out, nothing. But when I unhooked wire and started car, light came on and stayed on. After I changed plugs, wires, cap and put seafoam in and made sure o2 sensor wire plugged in and tight, light went out and stayed out.
                              Last edited by milehighbear; 11-22-2016, 10:46 AM.
                              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Working...
                              X