Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HIGH IDLE SOLVED!!!!!!!!!! NOT VACUUM LINE ISSUE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIGH IDLE SOLVED!!!!!!!!!! NOT VACUUM LINE ISSUE!!!

So i was under my car today to do some work and inspect some odds and ends when i discovered something interesting. first off my oil pressure sending unit or light unit was leaking so theres a common leak zone to check if you have an oil leak. But the real score of the day was finding a hole in the intake manifold.. yes a hole!! and guess what, beside this hole is another spot thats nearly a hole. what im assuming is from the factory this was a very thin spot in the casting material. if you have an older carbed model like mine and cant solve the flat spot in the torque range and seem to have a high idle for no reason with no obvious vacuum leaks then get under there and look up at the passenger or right side of the intake manifold you may have a small hole also. here is a pic of mine. i couldnt believe it. im waiting on some 2 part steel apoxy to dry now for this hole and the second thin spot to the right. good luck guys hopefully this helps some of you with high idle issues. id bet there are a lot of cars on the road that have this same hole and if not the hole i bet you can push one with a screw driver here. but dont obviously.

15181567_10207723299825779_7510974675105417973_n.jpg

no clue why that pic is so dark ill try to get another one thats easier too see. thats also bigger through photobucket

Comment

That hole is right at the egr passage...
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Crazy
        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Makes one wonder if something in the EGR gases ate through the manifold. Interesting to see how much gunk in the EGR valve.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Wowser! It makes me glad that I am not running the stock carb manifold.
            I will have to check that out. It is possible that that could have been a one time only bad casting from a bad or shifted core.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 11-22-2016, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Excelent work!
              I also wonder about that toxic corrosive crap that goes through the EGR...
              No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by blksmth88 View Post
                So i was under my car today to do some work and inspect some odds and ends when i discovered something interesting. first off my oil pressure sending unit or light unit was leaking so theres a common leak zone to check if you have an oil leak. But the real score of the day was finding a hole in the intake manifold.. yes a hole!! and guess what, beside this hole is another spot thats nearly a hole. what im assuming is from the factory this was a very thin spot in the casting material. if you have an older carbed model like mine and cant solve the flat spot in the torque range and seem to have a high idle for no reason with no obvious vacuum leaks then get under there and look up at the passenger or right side of the intake manifold you may have a small hole also. here is a pic of mine. i couldnt believe it. im waiting on some 2 part steel apoxy to dry now for this hole and the second thin spot to the right. good luck guys hopefully this helps some of you with high idle issues. id bet there are a lot of cars on the road that have this same hole and if not the hole i bet you can push one with a screw driver here. but dont obviously.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20237[/ATTACH]
                Is the oil pressure sending unit located, somewhere, above the oil filter?? Does the oil filter need to be removed to replace it, and what size wrench or socket is needed to do this??
                Is it common for oil to, also, leak from around the distributor o-ring, and how many miles on a Festiva does it usually take, before this happens??
                My 91 Festiva is still slowly leaking oil from, somewhere, after the valve cover gasket was replaced, when I, also, replaced the crankshaft seal, at the same time a new timing belt was installed..

Comment

Originally posted by greaseyfingers View Post
                  1. Is the oil pressure sending unit located, somewhere, above the oil filter??
                  2. Does the oil filter need to be removed to replace it, and what size wrench or socket is needed to do this??
                  3. Is it common for oil to, also, leak from around the distributor o-ring, and how many miles on a Festiva does it usually take, before this happens??
                  My 91 Festiva is still slowly leaking oil from, somewhere, after the valve cover gasket was replaced, when I, also, replaced the crankshaft seal, at the same time a new timing belt was installed..
                  Welcome to the Forum!

1. Yes, above and to the right if you are looking from under the car.
                  2. Yeah the oil filter will have to be removed. You will have to see for yourself what size wrench is needed on the sending unit.
                  3. Yes on the disty o-ring. Replacing it (and the O2 sensor) should IMO be done with every major tuneup, say 50K miles or so. And plug wires every 100K, i.e. every other major tuneup.

Another common leak point is the camshaft seal, and luckily is easier to replace than the crank seal. Exact same seal I believe.

Why do you want to remove the oil sending unit BTW? If the reason is oil leaking, then remove it and use blue Loc-tite or bearing grease on the threads when you re-install, to block the oil.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 11-30-2016, 05:37 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Good job on finding the hole in the intake.

You probably could have at least found the area a bit quicker using carb or brake cleaner. Spraying different areas until you heard a definite change/drop in the idle. THEN start investigating the spot(s) where you heard the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                      Welcome to the Forum!

1. Yes, above and to the right if you are looking from under the car.
                      2. Yeah the oil filter will have to be removed. You will have to see for yourself what size wrench is needed on the sending unit.
                      3. Yes on the disty o-ring. Replacing it (and the O2 sensor) should IMO be done with every major tuneup, say 50K miles or so. And plug wires every 100K, i.e. every other major tuneup.

Another common leak point is the camshaft seal, and luckily is easier to replace than the crank seal. Exact same seal I believe.

Why do you want to remove the oil sending unit BTW? If the reason is oil leaking, then remove it and use blue Loc-tite or bearing grease on the threads when you re-install, to block the oil.
                      Doesn't a car's oil sending unit, usually, leak past the spring loaded diaphram from inside the oil sending unit's housing to it's outside, when they start leaking??

Comment

Originally posted by greaseyfingers View Post
                        Doesn't a car's oil sending unit, usually, leak past the spring loaded diaphram from inside the oil sending unit's housing to it's outside, when they start leaking??
                        Beats me. I thought it was an electrical connection, like on water temp sensors.
                        Last edited by TominMO; 12-01-2016, 05:47 PM.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Your intake looks like mine but mine dosnt leak.
                          Its a very thin spot in casting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by william; 12-01-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

So I’m checking for this hole and I do not see what I am looking for I have a 88 Festy and I’ve 244k on it but she runs so good I currently can’t get my idle under 1300 to quiet her down so they’ll at least try to smog it.

Comment

Working...
                              X