Accelerator sticks on cold start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accelerator sticks on cold start

1989 Festiva. When I first start car the accelerator sticks and revs really high and stomping the gas peddle don't always work.

EFI or carb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Carb. Also forgot to mention if I start it without touching the gas pedal it idles normal but as soon as I touch gas pedal revs high.

Comment

I would remove the air cleaner, start it and check for linkage sticking first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
        “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

When cold does the linkage feel like its sticky at the carb? might need to install a stiffer spring on the throttle return. It might needs carb work if the butterfly feels sticky tho.
          1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
          1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
          1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
          19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Do you spray with carb cleaner? I spray inside carb and outside linkages once a year. A can of carb spray lasts forever.
            Last edited by WmWatt; 11-21-2016, 09:31 PM.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The choke set isn't releasing, lube the
              Linkage first and then check the choke operation.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
              X