Won't start now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't start now

I've owned my 1988 Festiva since this past spring and have been enjoying ever since, until last week. On my way home from work cruising along in 5th gear she started to lose power, I down shifted to 4th and it still continued to go down. Finally pulled over and figured out my only way to keep going was to partially engage the clutch and keep the RPM's up to 4 grand in 3rd gear. It died on me twice in a 20 mile commute but I managed to make it home. Ever since it turns over just fine and doesn't quite get to the firing stage. Need some assistance on what to do and where to look next. Thank you in advance.

Inspect all the vacuum hoses not leaking (firmly connected and not cracked).
    Verify carburettor getting fuel. Possible problems with dirt (tank, filtre) or collapsed rubber hose just before filtre.
    Ensure carburetor interior and exterior linkages clean (spray can of carb cleaner).
    Check for clean air flow (filtre, heat valve free to open).
    Check for spark. Ignition control module in distributor can fail but sysmptoms usually random stalling before complete failure.
    Last edited by WmWatt; 11-28-2016, 06:44 AM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Pull the wire that goes from the coil to the disty. Look inside the coil where the wire fits into it. You may find corrosion there. You can clean it up with a piece of sandpaper rolled up to fit. Or get another coil at the JY. People are always replacing their disty caps and rotors, but the coil never gets replaced, so corrosion just keeps building in there.

And welcome to the forum BTW!
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The Accel super sport coil is a good replacement for the 28 year old factory coil...
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Where in Iowa are you.
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Sounds like a fuel pump crapping out. Definitely check for fuel getting to the carb.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Btw I agree with Charlie in that it's a fuel issue, but would insist that the fuel line that runs between the firewall and crossmember be inspected for collapse before condemning the fuel pump.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Ollie

Comment

In regards with the fuel pump, I did change the fuel filter, it is clear plastic and it does not seem to be running full. So, should the fuel filter be full ? If not why and if so, does that sound more like a pump problem?
                  Thanks

Comment

It's not uncommon or unusual for the filter to have an air pocket in it, bit it should be less than 1/4 the size of the window. There's also a sight glass on the passenger side of the carb right above the bowl drain plug.

Comment

Take the air cleaner off and look for a squirt of gas when you press the gas pedal, or better pull on the accelerator linkage in the engine compartment.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                      X