Engine bog/stutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine bog/stutter

Been trying to fix this poor, abused festiva I picked up on Craigslist for $200. It's a 91, 5 speed. Replaced a bunch of steering and suspension parts on the vehicle thus far.

I've also been trying to figure out why the engine likes to bog down and stutter when I come to stops.. It probably only does it 30% of the time with my lights on, and 60% of the time during the day with no lights.. It will stutter after I let off the gas but only for a moment before returning to normal idle. It also bogs down and stutters whenever I turn off the lights at a stop.. Tends to run better when lights are on.

I've tried to trouble shoot a few things.
    - I've replaced the throttle body gasket seal
    - looked for leaks in the hoses using brake cleaner... Literally everywhere..(No stutter when doing so)
    - tightening/loosening throttle cable.

Running out of ideas. I've looked on the forum for similar problems.
    Could be a bad alternator?
    Throttle position sensor could be bad.. The Philips head on it is stripped but I am unable to move or budge it at all.

Anyone have any suggestions on next step to take to resolve issue?
    You pay for what you get, I know, but I want to restore this baby to glory.
    Last edited by Pzl8domin8; 11-29-2016, 09:36 PM.
    Stalin/5 spd/L/1993/Sold
    unnamed/5 spd/L-Plus/1991/Current
    htd

When you let off the throttle it hits an accordian/balloon thingy that slows the rate of how fast it closes the last 1/8inch or so. I hope you know what im talking about cos my description sucks. Anyway, is that thing working?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

^ dashpot is the word you're looking for.
      Given the description of the problem, I would be looking at the function of the ECT sensor, the electrical position of the TPS, the operation of the IAC and the condition of the tube between the VAF and throttle body.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I had to adjust the dashpot and bend it a bit because it was too far down and the pin wasn't decompressing into it fast enough making the vehicle rev for a long time after releasing my foot from the pedal.. Whether or not that was the correct thing to do it fixed that issue..

I believe it to be working.

I will look into these and reply back with findings festyboy, thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Stalin/5 spd/L/1993/Sold
        unnamed/5 spd/L-Plus/1991/Current
        htd

Comment

Working...
        X