Automatic seat belt lubrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic seat belt lubrication

I was wondering what to use to keep the automatic seat belts going for years. I have a friend who used wheel bearing grease for his tempo. I think maybe a silicone spray would work well or maybe just leave it alone.

I used a spray dry graphite to lube our auto belts, they are still doing well.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Thanks graphite sounds like a good idea. I keep some in the Festiva at all time in case the ignition or locks get sticky.

Comment

Hi. My seat belts stopped retracting fully by themselves years back. Can this feature be restored? Is that what the lubricant does? Thanks.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
          Hi. My seat belts stopped retracting fully by themselves years back. Can this feature be restored? Is that what the lubricant does? Thanks.
          You are talking about the retraction spring system on the manual belts right.. not the "auto" Passive Restraint System shoulder belts.
          Both use the spring system to recoil the belt. Best thing to do on those is to remove entire box they coil up in from the car and get all the built up dirt out of it. Probably has rust in there too. You can pull the belts all the way out and clean them good while you have the units out of the car. I lubricated them with just a few drops of plain old 3 in 1 oil on Rosies.

Comment

Working...
          X