Fuel sending unit woes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel sending unit woes!

Sup guys, so im on my 5th fuel sending unit from getting em at the local yards and such, i kept getting bad ones so this last one i got i checked with a miltimeter b4 buying and it checked out good. Installed in on the stiva and viola it worked great. I stored her for about 2 months or so with half a tank, i drive her around and once i got to 1/4 tank the needle went dead. Drove like that till i had an idea i was empty and filled her up. To the brim. The needle woke up but only made it to half tank. Ugh.. ive been searching on how to repair this unit as there arent any new ones for sale i cant find, even the ford dealer discontinued parts for these in my area. Sooo, any ideas on how to repair these darn things and are is there a place i can buy a new one from since i couldnt find one? Id be interested in both. I want to learn how to repair these and i want to know where i can aquire one if need be. Now i know how the mechanism works but i dont know how to repair it. Seems simple but i dont know how to go about it. Thanks in advanced guys! Love the forum![emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

From what I have read into it. The level sensor uses resistive wire coiled around a core, the float arm the has a contact that wipes across the coiled wire which varies the resistance. trying to find the right diameter wire with the right amount of turns with the right resistance is far from easy and not economically viable. The easiest way would be to get one from FourGreen http://www.fourgreen.com/store/scrip...p-QKK14260960B I dont know for 100% if that is the same one but it sure looks right. Hope that helps. Editing this. after looking at it more it seems that one I linked is for carb cars. ( I could be wrong though)
    Last edited by gergorian; 12-06-2016, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gergorian View Post
      From what I have read into it. The level sensor uses resistive wire coiled around a core, the float arm the has a contact that wipes across the coiled wire which varies the resistance. trying to find the right diameter wire with the right amount of turns with the right resistance is far from easy and not economically viable. The easiest way would be to get one from FourGreen http://www.fourgreen.com/store/scrip...p-QKK14260960B I dont know for 100% if that is the same one but it sure looks right. Hope that helps. Editing this. after looking at it more it seems that one I linked is for carb cars. ( I could be wrong though)
      Thanks man! I dont know the difference in appearance between the carb model and the efi one. How i tell this? Mine is the efi. I would buy it right now but dont want to buy the wrong one.

Comment

I am almost certain the one I linked is for Carb not EFI. I found this one which is almost certainly for EFI http://www.fourgreen.com/store/scrip...L-p-KB37613350 But as you can see the price is astronomical. I emailed them asking about the price and if it is just the pump its self or if its a full assembly with the level sensor and all. I will let you know as soon as I find out.
        Last edited by gergorian; 12-06-2016, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Good news and bad news. The good news is that the second link is indeed the complete assembly. The bad news is that the price is accurate. So if you want a brand new fuel sending unit with pump you can fork out $750. ( More than most people spend on a Festiva.)

Comment

Oooorrrrr buy the carb sending unit, and swap the float assembly over to the EFI sending unit.

I've been on the hunt off and on for the proper resistive wire for a few years, but to no avail...
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              Oooorrrrr buy the carb sending unit, and swap the float assembly over to the EFI sending unit.

I've been on the hunt off and on for the proper resistive wire for a few years, but to no avail...
              Do you know if the carb float unit is the same? Im guessing it is since mazda/ kia like to re-use parts like that to save money.

Comment

It is
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  It is
                  That's good to know.

Comment

Holy guacamolee!!! Wow thats more than i purchased my current volvo v70 for haha dang thats waaaaaayyyy too much lol. Ok, well lets try this... i wanna buy the one for 45 bucks and change for a carby, and swap over the float, u guys say its the same, has any body try this for sure and can any body confirm this b4 i buy it because i really want to fix this issue. Thanks in advance guys. Specially u georgian!

Comment

I don't think anyone has done it but I'm certain it should work. I know money can be tight for some but even after shipping its still the cheapest fix for the fuel sending unit.

Comment

I don't think anyone has done it but I'm certain it should work. I know money can be tight for some but even after shipping its still the cheapest fix for the fuel sending unit.
                        Right on man! Yeah money IS a bit tight right now with Christmas and all. But after Christmas ill be good. Heck, i might sneak this part under the radar while shopping online. When my wife gets the package ill just say, whoops hehe where that come from while scratching my head haha

Comment

Originally posted by reyestuninggarag View Post
                          Right on man! Yeah money IS a bit tight right now with Christmas and all. But after Christmas ill be good. Heck, i might sneak this part under the radar while shopping online. When my wife gets the package ill just say, whoops hehe where that come from while scratching my head haha

Hahaha. "Must be that part I ordered a few months ago that was backordered."

Comment

Hahaha. "Must be that part I ordered a few months ago that was backordered."
                            There u go hahaha nice one! Well in all seriousness i will be trying to buy this part and seeing how it goes when done. I will post it up for others to see and know how to go about it if they come across this issue. I sure am i kept her. I was gonna sell her to free up funds for other projects but im glad i kept her. Shes a BEAUT! ill probably order the part next week. Thanks a ton guys and specially u gergorian!

Comment

I look forward to seeing how this works out. I am considering doing it myself. I am glad you kept her as well! That's what I love about this community. People always willing to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X