Throttle body/intake heat piping help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle body/intake heat piping help

Hello all, hoping somebody can enlighten me a bit on how these hoses should be routed on my engine. Manuals & search function have not helped. My car is a '93 5 spd, basically all stock engine wise. When I got this one it had numerous detail items on the engine that were mish mashed by previous owners. I'm slowly getting it straightened out. On this one I'm shooting for OEM configuration as close as I can get it for go to work reliability. I thought I had it pretty well ironed out until a cap on a throttle body heat fitting started leaking & dumped the coolant. I don't think the lines are routed correctly, and I can't find any info on what's correct.

I have a '91 parts car but it's different. On the 93 there are two fittings on the bottom of the throttle body. As I got it these are both capped off with vacuum plugs. (It was one of these that started leaking). There are also two fittings that appear to go into the bottom of the upper intake, immediately behind and on either side of the throttle body fittings. On these, the one on the driver's side has a preform hose that runs down to a nipple on the metal transfer pipe that goes to the heater core. The one on the pax side (also a preform) crosses under the intake and goes to some sort of valve (more on this in a minute) that is mounted by a bolt on the left side of the lower intake. There is another preform hose that goes from this valve to a fitting on the back of the lower intake below the #3 fuel injector. The 3 hoses appear to be routed roughly correctly as they fit pretty nice.

The aforementioned valve also has an air side. It has a 5/8" or so hose that goes to the left side of the upper intake plenum, and another running to the intake snorkel. Also has an electrical connector on it. What the heck is this thinger? I have a guess but I've displayed quite enough ignorance already. Looks like a pretty important widget to not be in my (largely useless) manuals, or shown on the emissions sticker. On my '91 one TB coolant hose went to this thing & the other to the transfer tube.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get it all out there to start with.

Many thanks for any help you guys can offer.
    Ok, I've seen the future. Can I go home now?

'93 Festy, Aspire underwear
    '88 Carbed Festy, 44.7 MPG 4 year average. Whoopee! (RIP)
    '01 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew. Somewhat less than 44MPG.
    '92 Vette, 21.9 MPG 7 year avg.
    '07 Impala Flex-Fuel 29MPG Gas, 18MPG E-85
    '15 Chevy Cruze (kid car) 38 mpg
    '14 Chevy Sonic (kid car) 40mpg
    '79 Cevy step van (mobile shop) 1 gpm
    '56 Chevy Pickup, bone stock, 12MPG
    2 '69 VW's, 29MPG
    '80 HD Sportster, 56MPG avg.
    '06 Yamaha TW 200 80 mpg
    1956 Ford

I have a 91 and 93 at home, and a factory manual for a 91, I can look for you. The 93 has had the IAC deleted though, that may change some things
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

I'm on it... Be back in 5.

Ok, so from the water pump bypass pipe: that travels under the exhaust, there's a T for the thermostat bypass, then it travels under the dizzy and there's another T that feeds the passenger side of the throttle body. The driver side bung then comes back and feeds the IAC. From the IAC, there is a short hose to the driver side lower intake.

From the T just after the dizzy, the larger hose shoots to the driver heater core pipe. The other heater core hose goes to the passenger side lower intake.
      Last edited by FestYboy; 12-06-2016, 03:27 PM.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

It's like thunder, lightnin, help so fast it's frightnin!!!

Sorry but I'm out of gas for today. I work nights, haven't been to bed yet, and have to get up again in about 4 hrs. Will pick this up again in the AM.

Good thing is, I just jumped the TB connections for now, filled her with coolant, and after 1/2 hr idling @ 30* ambient t/stat finally opened; appears unwounded. Will follow up after I rassle some airliners for a while. Thanks again!!!
        Ok, I've seen the future. Can I go home now?

'93 Festy, Aspire underwear
        '88 Carbed Festy, 44.7 MPG 4 year average. Whoopee! (RIP)
        '01 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew. Somewhat less than 44MPG.
        '92 Vette, 21.9 MPG 7 year avg.
        '07 Impala Flex-Fuel 29MPG Gas, 18MPG E-85
        '15 Chevy Cruze (kid car) 38 mpg
        '14 Chevy Sonic (kid car) 40mpg
        '79 Cevy step van (mobile shop) 1 gpm
        '56 Chevy Pickup, bone stock, 12MPG
        2 '69 VW's, 29MPG
        '80 HD Sportster, 56MPG avg.
        '06 Yamaha TW 200 80 mpg
        1956 Ford

Comment

Working...