flywheel input shaft bearing loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flywheel input shaft bearing loose

E-series 5 speed. New "Brute Force" flywheel, New "Exedy" clutch kit.

I have a loose condition with my input bearing. I can pull it out of the flywheel by slipping my finger into the inner race and the whole bearing pulls out smoothly. I tapped the old bearing out of the old flywheel and I have the same condition. Is this normal? I am thinking of returning it to rockauto for a replacement. Thanks

That bearing cartridge is a compression fit, about .001-.0015 interference, and needs pressed in. Verify the hole on each flywheel is the same, then chuck the new bearing at the company that manufactures it.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

That's what I figured but wanted confirmation.

I could have been more clear though... The new flywheel has a slightly larger hole where the new AND the old bearing have poor fit. I don't have a way to measure it with proper tools though.
      The brute force flywheel will be sent back to rockauto today. Hope the replacement is better.

Thanks again

Comment

Ah, then I would say it's a machining fault for sure.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

To follow up...

Rockauto gave me a replacement warranty part (they payed shipping both directions). Same "Brute Force" flywheel, same problem. This flywheel is the most expensive one they carry. I ordered it more than 6 months ago so I can't return it for anything other than warranty, so I am just out of the money. My own fault!

I did however order a "Luk" flywheel from them and the bearing from the "Exedy" clutch kit has a nice press fit condition.

I am happy to finally be moving forward on this project.

"EDIT" Rockauto has agreed to credit me toward the defective flywheel
          Last edited by Skrapbob; 12-30-2016, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Good deal.

Side note: never been happy with the fit/finish of any Brute Force product.

Comment

You have company now

Comment

Working...
              X