Random loss of power, likely spark issues 91 5 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random loss of power, likely spark issues 91 5 speed

The car needed a desperate tune up when I got it. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor were installed. That helped out a ton. Still has a slight surge in hard accelerations where you can tell it is picking up and losing a cylinder repeatedly. Tonight I lost a ton of power. Can't hold 55 in third. Stop the car and take off hard, you'll make it to 65 70ish then is starts to cut out and you start going slower and slower and slower. What gives?
    Last edited by Hulspowered; 12-14-2016, 11:05 PM.
    1991 Yellow B6 5 speed

brakes??

Comment

Cat clogged or in the process of melting...
      But first, get a spritzer bottle of water and spray down the cap and wires, then blip the throttle hard, watch and listen for arcing. Another possibility is lack of fuel pressure or volume.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Its already had the cat removed, so no issues there.
        Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
        Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
        Feel free to PM me anytime!
        Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
        Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

If your'e only missing a cylinder during hard acceleration and then not noticing it while your constantly losing power I would guess that it is a Fuel problem. I would replace the fuel filter first to see if that helps and then troubleshoot from there because it sounds like you don't have enough fuel pressure.
          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
          sigpic
          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Brakes don't have any noticeable issues, or vacuum leakage.
            1991 Yellow B6 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
              If your'e only missing a cylinder during hard acceleration and then not noticing it while your constantly losing power I would guess that it is a Fuel problem. I would replace the fuel filter first to see if that helps and then troubleshoot from there because it sounds like you don't have enough fuel pressure.
              Possible dirty, partially clogged injectors too. I would toss a bottle of fuel system cleaner in the gas tank, just on general principles. Something I do whenever I buy a used car. A couple of times it helped a lot. If the cleaner didn't work, then replace the fuel filter. After that, if neither of these fixed the issue, I would look at replacing the pump and its pre-filter sock.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                I would toss a bottle of fuel system cleaner in the gas tank, just on general principles.
                We did that one while we were working on it tom. The Filter and sock do need an inspection, and filter was on the list of next ideas, as it is still OEM, and we have no idea how many miles are on this thing.
                Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                Feel free to PM me anytime!
                Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Working...
                X