Increased my heater temp from 100F to 130F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increased my heater temp from 100F to 130F

I read all the suggestions in the low heat sticky and tried a couple of the suggestions.

I was getting warm air out of the vents at 100F, but as the temperatures plunged it did little to warm me up. So I flushed the heater Core and then I did a coolant clean and Flush. Now I'm pumping out 130F.

I made a video of what I did just in case anyone else wants to try it. The best part is that this only cost me $13.

1992 Ford Festiva 1.3 L 4-cylinder

A common thing Festivites do is to put cardboard in front of the radiator on the really cold days*. Otherwise it will never heat up in the car. Also make sure your vent flap closes completely so you're not constantly pulling in outside air. It is behind the glovebox, in that tube that goes to the heater.

* 60 degrees in Florida doesn't count.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Right on. Is it warm enough for you now or you still need more heat?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I was hoping for 140, but 130 is definitely enough to keep me warm. Perhaps if I put the cardboard in from of the radiator like Tom suggested I'll get here.
        Last edited by Timothy; 12-18-2016, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
          I was hoping for 140, but 130 is definitely enough to keep me warm. Perhaps if I put the cardboard in from of the radiator like Tom suggested I'll get here.
          And block most of the bumper and grill openings. I leave the driver side open on the grill, but you could do the driver side bumper instead.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            And block most of the bumper and grill openings. I leave the driver side open on the grill, but you could do the driver side bumper instead.
            Cool, thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

You did a great job of flushing out your cooling system. Something else to consider:
              If you evaporator core has never been removed and cleaned, doing that will do wonders for you interior airflow. Here are before and after pictures:
              [IMG] [/IMG]

After cleaning:
              [IMG][/IMG]

Your cabin return air is pulled through the ac evaporator for both cooling and heating. Also the foam seals on the flapper that covers the fresh air intake are probably flaked off and do not seal the fresh air intake very well. They are easy to replace with a thin sheets of closed cell foam glued to it.
              Last edited by 1990new; 12-19-2016, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Wow that looks gross. Makes me want to check mine!
                Last edited by TWFodor; 12-19-2016, 02:54 PM.
                1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
                1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
                2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

That is why newer cars have Cabin Air Filters lol... Without them things can get pretty nasty.
                  "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                  sigpic
                  "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                  "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                  "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                  "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

I don't like to turn the heater on until the thermostat opens because it delays the engine warming up. So I dress warm on cold days instead.
                    I do set it to defrost and put the fan on low which also delays the engine heating a bit but can't be helped if you want to see to drive.
                    Cars sole here in Canada came wiht factory installed block heaters which I plug in for 1-2 hours in winter. Two hours today and it still took a couple of tries to get it started (carburetted engine). And 20 min of driving before the thermostat opened.
                    If the windows fog up it's from too much people exhaling moist air in which case some outside air should allowed in to dry it out.
                    The mechanic who helps maintain my car says I should leave the outside air intake open all the time for that reason.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                      You did a great job of flushing out your cooling system. Something else to consider:
                      If you evaporator core has never been removed and cleaned, doing that will do wonders...
                      Your cabin return air is pulled through the ac evaporator for both cooling and heating. Also the foam seals on the flapper that covers the fresh air intake are probably flaked off and do not seal the fresh air intake very well. They are easy to replace with a thin sheets of closed cell foam glued to it.
                      Yikes I'm going to have to get in there ASAP and take a look. That is pretty cool you were able to get yours so clean. Is getting to the evaporative Core an intuitive process or is it complicated? I just searched the forums. It looks like a pretty intense job. Yes?
                      Last edited by Timothy; 12-19-2016, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Yes. Not particularly fun.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Is it possible to at least do a partial job by removing the connecting hose from the outside-air vent housing to the heater box, and vacuuming it out?
                          Last edited by TominMO; 12-19-2016, 10:24 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                            I don't like to turn the heater on until the thermostat opens because it delays the engine warming up. So I dress warm on cold days instead.
                            I do set it to defrost and put the fan on low which also delays the engine heating a bit but can't be helped if you want to see to drive.
                            Cars sole here in Canada came wiht factory installed block heaters which I plug in for 1-2 hours in winter. Two hours today and it still took a couple of tries to get it started (carburetted engine). And 20 min of driving before the thermostat opened.
                            If the windows fog up it's from too much people exhaling moist air in which case some outside air should allowed in to dry it out.
                            The mechanic who helps maintain my car says I should leave the outside air intake open all the time for that reason.
                            Good luck ever getting it warm in there, in the winter. I'm gonna try just using some anti-fog on the inside of the glass.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

^ never had it work for me... The car breaths well enough to not have that issue even with the fresh air vent closed. Crack the window for a minute to clear the excess humidity and then you're good to go.
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X