Idling high....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idling high....

My new to me 88 carbed 4 speed when first stated up revs high until I punch the pedal then it slows down to "normal" idle speed. The last two times I started my car 10 minutes before leaving from work to warm the car up. I come out after going through the procedure mentioned above but the car is back up to idling very high when I come out to go home. What is causing this to rev so high after idling ok when I first started it?

Choke set is either getting weak or the 12v to it isn't 12v
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Try cleaning the linkages. I spray with carb cleaner once a year when I spray the carb during the annual (minor) tune up. The air filtre housing has to be raised to get at them. I don't leave the car to idle by itself so don't know if it would do what you describe. In cold weather at home I plug in the block heater. Otherwise I just start the car, count to 10 and kick down the choke, then drive off. It will still idle high-ish until the engine warms up a bit.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
      X