Replacing rear wheel cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing rear wheel cylinder

The brake fluid seems to be leaking from that small nut where the brake line connects, does this mean I just need to replace the wheel cylinder? I have the part just looking for input before I do the work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As rusty as that is, you might want to look into replacing the brake lines and the wheel cylinder because your'e probably going to have troubles getting that flare nut out without destroying it.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Give the nut a good scrubbing with a wire brush to clean and then spray with pentrating oil before attempting to unscrew. You might have to heat it with a (propane) torch to get it started Same with the bleeder nipple just above it. When you remove the wheel cyclinder some brake fluid will run out of the line and it will have to be bled so the nipple needs to come off. The nipples are fragile and will break off if forced. That's where the torch comes in handy to get it hot (60 second blast) so it will start to turn. If it stops turning as the metal cools don't force it, just heat again and turn some more - repeat until out. Good luck.

While you're at it you might want to take a hammer and cold chisel and knock the rust scale off the wheel. It can them be given a coat or two of rust paint.
      Last edited by WmWatt; 12-20-2016, 03:18 PM.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I'm with firebush, replace the line and cylinder, don't attempt just the wheel cylinder as that line in its present condition WILL fail.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thankyou so much guys! I will replace the lines along with the cylinder then, this festiva is way more of a pain than my non rusted out one haha one thing after another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When replacing/removing the line. Simply cut the line and use a 6 point 10mm socket to remove the line nut. You're not saving it so simply cut it and use a socket.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
              When replacing/removing the line. Simply cut the line and use a 6 point 10mm socket to remove the line nut. You're not saving it so simply cut it and use a socket.

Hope this helps.
              I found that my 18Volt Ryobi Impact with a 10mm 6 point Socket did real well with some PB blaster to get the Flare Nut off after the lines were cut.
              "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
              sigpic
              "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
              "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
              "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
              "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
              https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                I'm with firebush, replace the line and cylinder, don't attempt just the wheel cylinder as that line in its present condition WILL fail.
                Looking at that picture, I think his line HAS failed
                No car too fast !

Comment

The perfect tool for this; it slips over an intact brake line and tightly grips all six points of the flare nut:

It's pricey -- about $35 -- but it's SnapOn.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 12-23-2016, 12:30 AM.
                  88L black, dailydriver
                  88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                  4 88/89 disassembled
                  91L green
                  91GL aqua pwrsteer
                  92GL red a/c reardmg
                  3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                  1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Working...
                  X