Couple Of Issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple Of Issues.

Do all Festys come with a flange around big crankshaft bolt so you have to remove bolt to change timing belt? Also, slowly losing antifreeze, can't find where, heater core? No heat coming out, hoses are hot. Occasional bubble in radiator, normal? 200k miles now, 1992.

den,

Does air blow out your ducts?
    Are the heater core hoses hot?
    Do you have A/C?
    Last edited by bravekozak; 12-24-2016, 09:13 AM.

Comment

You have a large nose crank, so, no, not all festys are like that. The rad should never have bubbles... At 200k you're likely looking at a head gasket leak. Have the system pressure tested, and pull all the plugs... Look for a clean one, that would be the offending cylinder.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I just changed timing belts, old for new. I couldn't get that damn crankbolt out through bay. so I ended up cutting a hole in wheel well side so I could get at bolt with my impact gun. Slapped a piece of tin over hole when finished. I can smell AF inside car when driving, might have hole in heater core or hoses.
        Wouldn't water temp go up if there was a leaking head gasket?

Comment

Easier to lower the engine by removing the passenger side mount and access the bolt that way.

It is typical to see higher than normal coolant temps with a bad head gasket, but it's not mandatory... Have the system tested for cumbustion gasses before condemning the head gasket. If you have AC, check the condensation drain tube for AF.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks for info, Festyboy

Comment

den, I was trying to determine if the fins on your heater core were plugged with 24 years of dirt. Unfortunately, Festivas never came with factory cabin filters.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 12-25-2016, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X