Festiva Shifter Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva Shifter Problems

How does one fix a loosy goosy Festiva Shifter? I can get the car to shifter from FIRST to THIRD..then to FOURTH and FIFTH.I can't get the car into REVERSE. How much will it cost me to fixed this and where can I get BETTER parts to FIX this.Thanks for reading this and allowing me in the FORUM

search "shifter bushing"

Comment

welcomsign

Expensive crisp shifts.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 01-04-2017, 07:12 AM.

Comment

It could be the linkages under the floor which are cheap and simple to fix or it could be the synchromesh bushings inside the transmission which are more costly as the transmission has to be opened up, or it could be both. I'd get under the car and check the linkages for excessive play and if so do the search of this site suggested above. Loose linkages are a common problem.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

If it is the shift linkage bushings, (the common problem ), the original were a ruber composite, the replacements from KIA are plastic and inexpensive. I have yet to wear a set out.
          There are other fixes for the creative.
          Last edited by Dragonhealer; 01-04-2017, 12:40 PM.
          No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
            I called them and they told me that the car was TOO OLD and that they would have parts for the Festy

Comment

Here's the price and part number.
              Read the review from Garry Jones.
              I have them in my Festiva.

I ordered a bunch of plastic bushings a long time ago.
              I sold them all and kept the bronzoil bushings, because I liked the feel.

Also check your nylon bushings for cracks which also results in flex and shifter slop.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 01-05-2017, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Mertomas- it might be that your shifter is "falling into the floor" I had the same problems you describe n my Aspire last summer- when I checked the transaxle fluid and found only a half of a quart instead of 2.5 in the box- I figured I'd messed up my syncros.

New and full syncromesh fluid helped, but got it a little overfull in hot florida weather- I was looking for a new car and or a tranny

when the shifter finally fell through the floor- I thought from hard shifting.

Long stor short- the car sat out in the yard for a month or two- just about given up in- almost ordered a new tranny- when I started seing ways to "fix a failing shifter" search that phrase

When I finally fixed the shifter with 3M Window Weld- see thread-
                Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

ALL my troubles went away-

except a sloppy - but shifting shifter- I still have the plastic bushings to get installed, but driving the case again with no trany problems
                the shifter was in the process of descending I think - and it made the shifter hard to fund the tranny- which functions normally still-but with clean oil!

I didn't realize the real trouble until it fell into the floor fully- a couple of inces. Just glue between the two inner and outer circles- $20 easy fix- try this first!

Comment

It's usually the bushings under the car at the bottom of the shifter.you can use steering bushings from a rear engine snapper mower. Can be found at a snapper mower dealer for less than $2.00 ea. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by spcharger66 View Post
                    It's usually the bushings under the car at the bottom of the shifter.you can use steering bushings from a rear engine snapper mower. Can be found at a snapper mower dealer for less than $2.00 ea. Hope this helps.
                    That's a useful nugget of information, I'll have to remember that one ty1

Comment

Working...
                    X