Stalling/surging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalling/surging

My festy has been acting up. It started with a random loss of acceleration/power on the highway.

I changed the fuel filter and things have gone down hill since. Note the car never dies and is easy to start. You just hit the gas and nothing. It is also intermittent. I can drive for 10 minutes and it will be smooth sailing then it will act up intermittently. Drive fine again and then 20 minutes later it will act all crazy.

These are the things on my check list but additional suggestions are welcomed.

Check fuel pressure - if low check pump and relay

Check for clogged cat

Replace VAF

Throttle position sensor

Recent repairs include new spark plugs and wires, new battery, new ICM new ignition coil, clean disty cap.

Any other thoughts are welcome.
    Last edited by Timothy; 01-05-2017, 08:25 AM.
    1992 Ford Festiva 1.3 L 4-cylinder

Loose or cracked vacuum hoses.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
      Loose or cracked vacuum hoses.
      Thank you for the help. I'll give them a good looking over.

Comment

Fuel gage reads 30 however it took the meter two or three seconds to get up to thirty after I turned the ignition switch. It did not register any pressure while the key was turned in the on position on after car started.

When it starts dying it spikes to 35.
        Last edited by Timothy; 01-05-2017, 11:01 AM.

Comment

There is a faint faint hissing sound, but no matter how hard I try and I can not find where it is coming from. I even made a diy stethoscope. are there any vacuum hoses in particular that I should be looking for?

Comment

One way to check vacuum hoses is with a spray bottle or plant mister. If you spray a leaking hose with water while the engine is running moisture will be drawn into the intake and the engine will stumble. I think if you spray a leaking hose with starter fluid that will be drawn into the intake and the engine will accelerate.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
              One way to check vacuum hoses is with a spray bottle or plant mister. If you spray a leaking hose with water while the engine is running moisture will be drawn into the intake and the engine will stumble. I think if you spray a leaking hose with starter fluid that will be drawn into the intake and the engine will accelerate.
              Thank you for the suggestion. I sprayed with starter fluid before and it did not alter the speed of idle. I will test again and report back my findings.
              Last edited by Timothy; 01-05-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I replaced the VAF and she is up and running again.

Comment

Working...
                X