How to remove Ignition lock barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove Ignition lock barrel?

Has anyone removed the ignition switch? I need to replace mine. PO broke off the key in it. I have the turquoise service manual from Ford, but it doesn't say much.

Thanks guys
    A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
    Instagram: jaredbear82

There are two screws that have round heads. I cut grooves with a grinder so I could use a flathead screwdriver. You can see them in this picture.
    Last edited by TWFodor; 01-11-2017, 09:14 AM.
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

I've been able to get 3 of them off just grabbing the heads with needle nosed vice grips, and then replace the with hex head screws.
      "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
      "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
      "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
      "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
      "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
      "Wenona"-89L parts car
      "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

I've tried needle-nose vise grips with some success. I find that cutting a slot in just one works pretty well too; get that screw out, wiggle the clamp, and the other one comes out pretty easy with needle-nose pliers and fingers.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

If you have a spare key maybe you can extract the broken key by saturating it with lubricant and teasing it out with wire, pliers, or magnet.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thank you all for the speedy replies. I'll try it some time between now and Sunday and check back with how it went

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Comment

It is important that the bolts be installed with the proper torque. Shear head bolts are used by the factory. The top part of the bolt breaks off when the proper torque is attained. The shear head bolts are used as a security measure to make cars harder to steal.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 01-12-2017, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                If you have a spare key maybe you can extract the broken key by saturating it with lubricant and teasing it out with wire, pliers, or magnet.
                You might also try using two paper clips to fish that broken key out.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

A week late, but I got the jammed lock off. Spent about 30 minutes with a hack saw because I forgot to bring my cut off wheel. New one is coming off tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                  X