• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Need advice for alternator removal from B3*

88L
    Carburetor
    4 speed
    Factory A/C

I skimmed through many of the posts in the 8 page Search results. Top removal of the alternator isn't possible due to the presence of A/C hoses. That's the only real takeaway from the threads. Most discussed alternator upgrades linked to car stereos, etc.

The old alternator, which is loose and ready to be removed/replaced, is larger than the clearance between the axle and steering assembly. Haynes suggests bending the cat converter shield a bit, but that's not a solution here. It won't create the space needed to remove the alternator.

The axle and steering are inflexible. What's to be done?

Help. Thanks.

Jack the car up to drop the axel some?

Comment

That worked!

I had the car on ramps, which gave me the clearance necessary to work under the car. As this is the first front-drive (i.e., low & transverse) alternator I've replaced, it didn't occur to me that raising the car via a jack would concurrently lower the drive axle(s).

William, I could bro-hug you right now. Thanks, man.

Signed,
      Noob
      Last edited by Shin Hayata; 01-14-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Not a problem glad it worked out. I've never had that problem because I've never put it up on ramps so it was already jacked up and had Plenty of clearance

Comment

For future reference:

Even if the car is on ramps, you can still jack it up a little. put some blocks of wood between the jack and body, or under the jack, for extra height. Make sure the rear wheels are chocked, of course, whenever working under the car.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I have an old school auto shop 2.5 ton jack that did the job, with room to spare, whilst the car was on the ramps. Jack stand and wheel chock used for safety, natch.

Comment

Working...
            X