X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Start help

Background:
    91 bp+t w/ stratified auto mspnp

Car sat for 2 months and when I went on a short 'cruise'. When I got back, battery was dead, so I charged it up and no start. Cranks, but no start.

What Ive done already:
    checked fuel pump through the connector in engine bay. works
    check for spark. no spark
    check compression. 140, 180, 150, 180
    checked all fuses in car. good
    checked fusible links (pal fuses). looked good but haven't replaced.
    replaced fuel pump, fuel relay, coil, and distributor.
    also, reflashed the MS ECU. works fine and connects to laptop (tunerstudio) when power is supplied by wall wart adapter in house, but doesnt connect when on car power.

So I'm thinkin something to do with powering the MS maybe? what else can I check to make sure the Ecu is getting power from the battery?
    Any help is appreciated.

ICM is likely cooked from the lack of voltage...
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ignition Control Module? the little black piece by the coil? If so, ended up getting a new one of those too.
      replaced the 3 fuses under hood today too just in case. still no dice.

Comment

Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned in the ignition? If you disconnect the O2 sensor or something to generate a trouble code you can then try reading the code to see if the ECU sets one. That should tell if the ECU is working?
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Sounds like the megasquirt isn't powering up to me. Have you checked power and ground to it?
          Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
            Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned in the ignition? If you disconnect the O2 sensor or something to generate a trouble code you can then try reading the code to see if the ECU sets one. That should tell if the ECU is working?
            That won't work on a megasquirt ecu.

Way too many cars

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
              Sounds like the megasquirt isn't powering up to me. Have you checked power and ground to it?
              Where would I check that it's receiving power? Looking at the electrical diagrams, does it get power from the main relay? I'll check my grounds also.

Comment

Unplug it and check for power on the wires that should have power. All my wiring diagrams are at work. I'll try to remember to look up what wires you need to check.

Way too many cars

Comment

FESTY PINOUT by Joseph King, on Flickr

You need to check pin 1B for 12v with the key on. With the key off you need to check for continuity to ground on all the pins labeled ground.

Way too many cars

Comment

I check all the ground pins today, all were good.
                    Checked 1b for 12v, no power getting there. What would cause this?

Comment

Look forthe Y/BK on a wiring diagram to see where it comes from?
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

main relay.
                        What would cause it to go out? Ill pick one up and see if that fixes anything.

Comment

Originally posted by b1gballin View Post
                          main relay.
                          What would cause it to go out? Ill pick one up and see if that fixes anything.
                          Time. Relays are rated for a certain amount of cycles. At 25yrs old its probably about there.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

At the main relay make sure you have 12v on the W/BL and BK/W with the key on. Check the BK wire for continuity to ground. If all of those check out your relay is probably back. Iirc the relay has to have a good ground through the mounting bolt too.

Way too many cars

Comment

Well, checked the main relay and there's 12v coming out the w/by and bk/w wires and good ground on the black wire and on the mounting bolt.
                              With the key on is there supposed to be 12v on the fuel pump relay y/bk wire going to the ecu? Possible I got a bad fuel pump relay ?

Comment

Working...
                              X