Brake Booster Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Booster Rebuild

I recently replaced the booster on Rosie and decided to take the old one apart.
    If I could find a source for the small seals, I could rebuild it easily. The diaphragm is still good. Has anyone done this? Do you know where I can get the seals?

E8BZ-2004-A is no longer available

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
      E8BZ-2004-A is no longer available
      I wonder where the parts are coming from for
      the remanufactured ones that are available.
      i've looked everywhere I can think of
      Last edited by 1990new; 01-16-2017, 10:25 PM.

Comment

I got the booster completely apart and have done a thorough cleaning on all the parts. Tomorrow I'm going to paint the metal parts inside and out.
        I learned that you can get brake fluid inside the booster. There was about 1/2 cup of it in the old one I took off Rosie. I had replaced the master cylinder on Rosie last year but did not change the booster then. The brake fluid had eaten lots of paint off the inside of the booster.
        It turns out the old master cylinder had been leaking brake fluid into the booster because the seal that surround the push rod that goes into the master from the booster was bad. This caused the vacuum to pull the fluid into the front side of the booster. After installing the new booster, in addition to the brakes working much better, Rosie is also running better and her gas mileage has improved.

Looks like all the other seals in the booster are OK.. just need that one little one that goes in front. It looks like the one show in this link.
        http://4wdtrainingsolutions.com.au/w...-improvisation

I don't need the booster right now..just want to have a spare on the shelf.
        Last edited by 1990new; 01-18-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
          I got the booster completely apart and have done a thorough cleaning on all the parts. Tomorrow I'm going to paint the metal parts inside and out.
          I learned that you can get brake fluid inside the booster. There was about 1/2 cup of it in the old one I took off Rosie. I had replaced the master cylinder on Rosie last year but did not change the booster then. The brake fluid had eaten lots of paint off the inside of the booster.
          It turns out the old master cylinder had been leaking brake fluid into the booster because the seal that surround the push rod that goes into the master from the booster was bad. This caused the vacuum to pull the fluid into the front side of the booster. After installing the new booster, in addition to the brakes working much better, Rosie is also running better and her gas mileage has improved.

Looks like all the other seals in the booster are OK.. just need that one little one that goes in front. It looks like the one show in this link.
          http://4wdtrainingsolutions.com.au/w...-improvisation

I don't need the booster right now..just want to have a spare on the shelf.
          Found a link to a PDF that explains the exact problem that I had:
          http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2050-0001.pdf

Comment

I stripped my booster the other day. I think it looks better now...

Comment

Originally posted by reddragon View Post
              I stripped my booster the other day. I think it looks better now...
              IT dose look great.
              What kind of paint are you going to use to repaint it? I have to paint the inside of mine too.
              Last edited by 1990new; 01-18-2017, 07:24 PM.

Comment

There are only so many sizes of that seal, it's an industry standard thing.
                1990new, if you will post the dimensions of that seal, and the shaft size, I'll see if we have some in our booster parts stock.
                No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                  There are only so many sizes of that seal, it's an industry standard thing.
                  1990new, if you will post the dimensions of that seal, and the shaft size, I'll see if we have some in our booster parts stock.
                  Seal OD is 41mm
                  Shaft is 9.38mm I sanded shaft some to remove rust so I probably reduced the diameter a little.

The number on the seal is "810-24100" and the brand is "JKC" "M16" is also on the seal.

Than would be great if you can match it.

Comment

Perfect, nominal 3/8ths shaft, odds are good! Will let you know tomorrow
                    No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                      Perfect, nominal 3/8ths shaft, odds are good! Will let you know tomorrow
                      OK... Thank You.

Comment

IT dose look great.
                        What kind of paint are you going to use to repaint it? I have to paint the inside of mine too.
                        That is already painted - clear gloss

Last edited by reddragon; 01-18-2017, 10:55 PM.

Comment

The people who make rust paint for metals (eg Tremclad, Armor) usually offer a clear version. Just look on the shelf. Probably polyurethane plastic. I use a lot of that stuff on old bicycles I restore. I use one sold as concrete sealer because it costs less. I read an article by a guy who uses it on restored furniture recommending it. I brush it on as I find spray cans pretty wastefull with all the overspray although they use volatile butane to carry the polyurethane which does dry fast.
                          Last edited by WmWatt; 01-19-2017, 08:25 AM.
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I really just want to get this one back to black. I only removed some of the black paint on the outside near the bottom. I'm roughed up the rest on the outside. The inside was mostly stripped so I completed the stripping there. Not worried about the looks there just want it to prevent rust. Outside needs to resist the heat and oils from the engine bay as the original paint did. Had rust on the outside on the lower part where the brake fluid leaked and caused the paint to peel.

Comment

OK... Thank You.
                              Did you have a chance to check on the seal?

Comment

Working...
                              X