Intake manifold hissing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake manifold hissing

I found a hissing sound where the intake and the engine meet, right after the fuel injectors. The weird thing is that when I spray brake clean or propane in that area it does not change the idle.

Before I change the intake manifold gasket is there anything else I should look into in that area.
    1992 Ford Festiva 1.3 L 4-cylinder

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
    I found a hissing sound where the intake and the engine meet, right after the fuel injectors. The weird thing is that when I spray brake clean or propane in that area it does not change the idle.

Before I change the intake manifold gasket is there anything else I should look into in that area.
    Interesting. I swear mine is doing the same thing and also tried brake and starter fluid with no change and just thought maybe I was imagining things.
    Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
      Interesting. I swear mine is doing the same thing and also tried brake and starter fluid with no change and just thought maybe I was imagining things.
      It's good to hear I'm not the only one. Here is a video of the offending hiss.

Comment

Timothy, get about 2 feet of 1/4" -3/8" fuel line or vacuum line and use it as a stethoscope and you will usually be able to pin point the exact source of the leak and even if it doesn't at least you are not out a bunch of money......Good luck!
        '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
        '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
        '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
          Timothy, get about 2 feet of 1/4" -3/8" fuel line or vacuum line and use it as a stethoscope and you will usually be able to pin point the exact source of the leak and even if it doesn't at least you are not out a bunch of money......Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. That is what I was trying to do in the video above. It's the clear tube in the vid.
          Last edited by Timothy; 01-17-2017, 01:30 PM.

Comment

If you can get smoke in there safely you might be able to see it getting sucked in if there's a leak.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
            X