RPM with no tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM with no tachometer

I have been scratching my head trying to figure out how to measure RMSs with no tachometer. The closest I got was trying to find a volt meter that can measure it, but alas my parts store didn't have one.

Then I went to a mechanic who wanted to charge me $90 to check it.

Solution: I used the slow motion function on my phone. First I made sure my car was at operating temp. Then I then stuck a small square of brightly colored tape on center pulley. I then recorded for 15 seconds. I played back the video and counted the revolutions of the pulley marked by the bright tape and multiplied that number by 4. In my case I counted 199 revolutions times 4 equals 796 RPMs. A tad high. I think it is supposed to be at 750.

I think this works, let me know if anyone sees any potential problems with how I measured this.
    Last edited by Timothy; 01-19-2017, 06:30 PM.
    1992 Ford Festiva 1.3 L 4-cylinder

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
    I have been scratching my head trying to figure out how to measure RMSs with no tachometer. The closest I got was trying to find a volt meter that can measure it, but alas my parts store didn't have one.

Then I went to a mechanic who wanted to charge me $90 to check it.

Solution: I used the slow motion function on my phone. First I made sure my car was at operating temp. Then I then stuck a small square of brightly colored tape on center pulley. I then recorded for 15 seconds. I played back the video and counted the revolutions of the pulley marked by the bright tape and multiplied that number by 4. In my case I counted 199 revolutions times 4 equals 796 RPMs. A tad high. I think it is supposed to be at 750.

I think this works, let me know if anyone sees any potential problems with how I measured this.
    You can pick up a tach for like $20. You dont want to? I like having one.
    I believe there is a wire that you can jumper and the engine will idle at 750 exactly. Then you can verify that your getting a correct reading from your phone. Im not sure on that though, hopefully someone else can tell me and you if im right.
    Theres nothing wrong with 800rpm. I let mine idle at 900-1000.
    750 is proper, lower probably isnt nice, but 750-1000 isnt going to have any negative effects.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
      750 is proper, lower probably isnt nice,

Haha. You should of heard and seen my engine rattle about when i set it too low.

Comment

Manual trans cars should idle at 625-650, auto cars at 750-800 in park.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          Manual trans cars should idle at 625-650, auto cars at 750-800 in park.
          Thanks for the numbers.

Comment

That being said: at madness, I was able to get "the astronaut's" stock carb b3 to idle under 400 without issue, and a few years back, Scrappy was at around 250 for fun before I swapped him. (Again, a carb b3). I don't think an EFI can get quite as low in most cases, but sub 500 should be attainable.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Haynes manual says 750 for manual "base idle". Not sure what that means but you're supposed to have the STI wire grounded. It's what they recommend when setting timing.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

What is a STI wire? I googled it but all I find is something to do with Subaru's.
                Last edited by Timothy; 01-19-2017, 10:41 PM.

Comment

RPM with no tachometer

The ST1 wire is a single wire with black connector near the brake booster. Do not mistake it for the single wire with the white connector which is for RPM signal. By grounding ST1, the engine is now in diagnostic mode and base timing and idle should be set while the engine is warm. CEL codes can also be checked while ST1 is grounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by dalebwilson; 01-20-2017, 03:33 AM.
                  "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
                  “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

I have never adjusted mine but it seems to sit at around 1000 from what I can see on my $15 Tach.
                    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                    sigpic
                    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by dalebwilson View Post
                      The ST1 wire is a single wire with black connector near the brake booster. Do not mistake it for the single wire with the white connector which is for RPM signal. By grounding ST1, the engine is now in diagnostic mode and base timing and idle should be set while the engine is warm. CEL codes can also be checked while ST1 is grounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                        Thanks for the info.
                        Timothy, you need to get a Haynes manual for Festivas. Everything you have been told is in there, and lots of other info and pics. It'll save you a lot of time and trouble.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                          Timothy, you need to get a Haynes manual for Festivas. Everything you have been told is in there, and lots of other info and pics. It'll save you a lot of time and trouble.
                          I ordered one from half.com for $2.30. I waited for it to be shipped and just got an email that the seller couldn't ship so I got a refund. I'll have to try again.

Comment

There are quite valuable. This is what mine looks like now.

Comment

I help my manual last by photocopying the pages I need for a repair so the manual itself doesn't get dog eared and dirty.
                              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                              X