TRANNY WORKS - H PATTERN IS GONE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRANNY WORKS - H PATTERN IS GONE!

97 Aspire 5 speed. Linkage still attached. No noises from transmission.
    I was driving to work and I lost the top half of the shift pattern, 1 & 3 & 5.
    Second, fourth and reverse worked fine. Leave work and shift into reverse to back out of the stall. Then I seem to be stuck in reverse.

The gear shift seems to free float, I can do circles, make zig-zags, what ever.
    I scoop "under" where reverse should be and I nudged the transmission into neutral ?!? :wink:

So I nudge it into third and drive home burning a lot of clutch at the stop lights to get going.

At home I can nudge it into any gear I want and try. I put the car up on jacks, the gear shift linkage is obviously still attached and seems to stay in a strict pattens as I move the stuff by hand underneath the car..

I think I had a similar problem with my 78 Chevette. Its been 20 odd years so my memory may be fuzzy. The plastic cap that held the stick shift in the cup had an H pattern built into it. That had cracked in a way where I could not get reverse and maybe another gear. I replaced that and it worked.

From searching this and and the fordaspire forums, I have seen only one other disappearing shift pattern. I know I have a good transmission because I can nudge it into various gears and there are NO grinding noises.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Guy Weinberger

how does the stabilizer bar bushing look?? (top arrow)

Comment

Is there another name for these bushings? I need one on my 93 and NAPA can't find them in their catalog.
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

there is no slop in the bushing. It looks better than what is in the picture.

Comment

then most likely it is your shift gate inside your transmission

Comment

Insert trumpet playing TAPS here

Comment

my 95 just did the exact same thing!!! To at T!!! sux hardcore!!
              missin my 88 LX 4speed
              95 aspire black soon to become less stock :twisted:

Comment

Working...
              X