Positive Camber Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positive Camber Problem

Couple weeks ago I changed drugs and strut mounts. Today I checked camber and it is at +2.5

So I took the strut out and rotated the mount 180 degrees and the resulting camber was... +2.5

It seems to be fine up on the jack stands, but once the weight is back on the tires it trends positive. Wheel bearings show no sign of trouble and when twisting the tire at 12 & 6 o'clock there is no movement. Same with 9 & 3 there is no sign of slack or movement.

Any suggestion, and is it anything to worry about?
    1992 Ford Festiva 1.3 L 4-cylinder

What drugs are they on?
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
      What drugs are they on?
      LOL. Oops. *struts not drugs.

Comment

Rotating the strut mount should not change camber. If it's 2+1/2 positive maybe you need to drive the car over a few bumps and check it again. If you ever jacked up and old swing axle VW Beetle you would know what I'm talking about.bumpup
        '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
        '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
        '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Or is there any chance you are confusing negative caster with positive. A side effect of the drugs?.......:fofd:
          '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
          '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
          '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

^ yes they need to settle
            Once the are jacked up the go way positive the festiva isn't very heavy so won't settle on its own you need to drive it back and forth or al least bounce on the bumper and rock it. Between checking camber.

Comment

also not to mention you would never measure camber without the weight of the vehicle on the suspension components. In other words do not jack 'er up and take measurements.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
                Or is there any chance you are confusing negative caster with positive. A side effect of the drugs?.......:fofd:
                Positive= top of wheel pointing away from car right?

Comment

Rotating the strut mount should not change camber. If it's 2+1/2 positive maybe you need to drive the car over a few bumps and check it again. If you ever jacked up and old swing axle VW Beetle you would know what I'm talking about.bumpup
                  I plan on takeing the car for a ride at about 6pm. Will have to see it it settles back to normal. I'll keep you updated.
                  Last edited by Timothy; 01-22-2017, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Good job Rick and William. Thanks for your help. I just got back from my joy ride and everything settled into place.

I have so much to learn! Thanks again guys.

Comment

Rotating the strut mount should not change camber.
                      Actually, a factory strut mount allows for a .5 degree adjustment in camber. Note that the mounting studs are offset to the centerline, and that the mount will sit closer to one side of the strut mount hole in the strut tower.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

hope this helps a little

88 L carb'ed (when up in flames of glory)(deceased) 4spd
                        89 L carb'ed (died on the operating table (rust))(deceased) 5spd
                        93 gl FI (sold) automagical
                        89 lx FI megasquirted "luna" b6D+t (186hp 209ftlbs)
                        88 L carbFI megasquirted zombie car

Comment

Positive camber is an awful idea
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Actually, because both sides were out the same it sort of suggested a problem in measurement. Glad you got it resolved.

PS the Haynes manual suggests before removing struts to mark the tops so they can be put back on the same way and not rotated 180 degrees.
                            Last edited by WmWatt; 01-22-2017, 08:08 PM.
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                              Actually, a factory strut mount allows for a .5 degree adjustment in camber. Note that the mounting studs are offset to the centerline, and that the mount will sit closer to one side of the strut mount hole in the strut tower.
                              Yeah, I got to thinking about my answer AND sure enough I was wrong. I wonder if that 2.8 (The Pontiac is a 2.8?) will fit in the back seat of a Festiva......htd
                              I got 345K miles out of A Citation X11.....

Comment

Working...
                              X