remove windshield trim??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remove windshield trim??

anybody know what tool and tool manipulation needed to pop the clips that hold the windshield moldings? shop manual is vague and the tool looks funky.
    i am able to lift the edge of the mold enough to see how the clip is installed. it is pressed onto a peg that is welded to the body. the clip hooks the lip on the molding and points 90 degree away from the outer surface of the mold. i don't care about bustin the clip. just don't want to bend up the mold.

(pics of old mold & new clip as installed)

Hey F3, I hate the answers that start "I think" but from my experience on my '88 that I painted I think they popped out with a screw driver. I recently had a windshield replaced on my '93 and I requested they leave the moldings off. The guy told me he only broke 2 or 3 clips. You got to keep in mind they are 20+ years old and the fact that I am in a hot sunny climate. On the plus side the tech tells me the clips are common to a lot of Mazdas from the 80's-90's. Any decent sized automotive glass shop can sell/give you some. I think when the moldings are painted body color they clean up the aesthetics of the Festiva. If you paint them be sure to spray them with an adhesion promoter first. Good Luck!!:fofd:
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

FYI, I bought a box of these clips on Amazon. Here's the link:

Last edited by Twistiva; 01-24-2017, 02:22 PM.
      88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
      88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
      91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
      93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        Good link, thanks for posting! I like the name "C.R. Laurence". sounds like a fine clothing line. Like the clothes I wear when driving my Festiva! htd
        '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
        '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
        '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Any trim tool will do to remove the windshield moldings.

Comment

ya i tried a screwdriver. maybe make something similar to what brave shows out of sheet metal band iron. or --- maybe there's a viddy on Utube

Comment

well i can't delete the pics now but i show the clips upside down from the way they are actually installed. i came up with a homemade tool and solution that works like a charm. will post a how-to pictorial in a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                How many clips were in the box. They show a price of $13.12 plus $5 shipping. They are .38 each at fourgreen and the minimum shipping is almost $21.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                  How many clips were in the box. They show a price of $13.12 plus $5 shipping. They are .38 each at fourgreen and the minimum shipping is almost $21.
                  I found out there are 15 in the box.
                  Also checked my FourGreen order history and found out for sure that I had ordered 20 of those from FourGreen four years ago.
                  I will checked through all my parts again to see if I can find them but if anybody remembers me selling them to you, please let me know.
                  Last edited by 1990new; 02-10-2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X