How-To Remove Window Mold Pictorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To Remove Window Mold Pictorial

i get a little crazy on detailing my show cars and do everything i can to clean deep into grooves and crevices and other hard to reach areas. (a total 180 from my house cleaning). one thing i wanted to eliminate was the hazy line of water scale crud that forms on the windshield at the edge of the trim molding.
    i think that might be why they put a black border around window glass in newer cars as it tends to mask this. i also wanted to repaint the molding pieces and polish the paint in the channel all around the windshield. the only way to do this the right and easy way is to remove the molding. the trouble was figuring out how that is done. the shop manual isn't much help and there is no real instructions on how to use the tool they illustrate which isn't available anyway. luckily, we don't need no stinkin overpriced Rotunda tool.

all the mold pcs. are held on with a clever little plastic clip that fits onto a peg that is tacked to the channel around the windshield. there are 4 on ea side and about 7 orn 8 top and bottom. you can pry up the inner edge of the mold a little to see where they are located. might need a flashlight. also you can usually see just barely the end of a holding tab that is part of the clip and visible between the outer edge of the mold and the car body. here is a pic of the peg the clip is attached to:

this is the clip as it is mounted on the peg. the little tab on the left of the clip in this pic is what you can usually see when the molding is installed to give you an idea where its at. when re-installing the molding, the clips are put back on all the pegs and the moldings are pressed down until they click onto the clips.

OK. now the part that makes me a genius. this is a piece of 16ga 1" wide band iron. mostly used for hanging ductwork but comes in real handy for a lot of other things. i just eyeballed where i would need the bends. not super critical. one end is cut to a point to catch and lift the clip just above the peg. the other bend is to give me a pivot point against the windshield to pop the clip off the peg. the 1" 90 degree bend will help lever up the molding since it might be a little stuck to the windshield gasket. patent pending. send $10 and self addressed stamped envelope for blueprints.

next 2 pics show how to use this complex tool. i used the thick end of a wood shim (more mensa thinking power) to hold the mold off the window and give some working room for the PATENTED tool. it's best if you can actually get your eye on the clip. you want to get the pointed end just above the peg and under a small edge that is molded into the clip. now just push the F3BZ E-Z BAR down and the clip should pop off the peg! if not, you might need to make the bends in the tool a little heavier to give you more leverage movement. the 2nd pic shows what you are trying to do assuming the molding has become invisible.

now you can do watcha gotta do. i'm going to paint the moldings, clean and paint the body channel and get rid of the creepin crud on the window. here is a final pic showing an area i cleaned (left of center) next to the dark crud line still to be attacked (thin line right of center). a green scouring pad and glass polish paste makes it like new again.

this is slow going with the weather getting bad agin. nevertheless, i had 1 nice day to install new clips. strangely i had to cut out some of the butyl windshield gasket to make a pocket for the new clips to seat fully on the peg. the new clips aren't bigger than the ones i pried out. maybe the gasket was pulled into the clip cavity when i removed them. this was a little delicate and time consuming using exacto knives and needle nose pliers so as not to scratch the new paint. that butyl is TUFF! also, even though this car WILL NOT UH UH be driven in rain or snow i dabbed a glob of undercoating into each clip pocket before installing since i scratched the paint in the gasket channel when i carved an scraped out the gasket material.
    i used clips from 4G. they are a bluish color plastic. you need 20. the 4G clips have an extended tab that if left on will extend way beyond the edge of the molding and look pretty stupid. the pic shows how bad it is compared to a clip with tab cut down. the cut down clip now matches exactly the original ford clips. the 4G clips are scored just where you want to shorten them by clipping off with diagonals or scissors. i also painted the tabs black. even though you only see them if you look real close i just didn't want to see blue tabs.
    now i'm just waiting for a break in the weather to clip the moldings on next.

Comment

The best way to get rid of urethane sealant is with a knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder.
      I personally prefer butyl tape. It is not toxic to the applicator and it is much easier to remove.
      Isocyanates like to cure in moist warm environments. Most people have two of them.

Comment

Yep that's why if you paint with safety glasses on, paint will end up on the inside of the glasses iso's are attached to your eyes!
        But I still prefer urethane un less the car came with butyl from the factory.

Comment

If you need some window clips.....I got mine at Grainger.
          92 GL, 98k
          77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

william, I was referring to the inside of the lungs. Isocyanates are odorless but deadly).
            Last edited by bravekozak; 03-17-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Oh I were a respirator so I don't breath that in. And an
              Air suply hood in the booth so nothing in my eyes or lungs in there either, we also spray waterborn paint so it's low vocs but still not good for yah.
              I got some clips from a local shop suply guy.
              They said mazda on the box came with 20 for about 18 bucks. They must be pretty common if the guy I got them from had em on hand.
              Good job on the homemade tool I've used a universal trim hook tool when I did mine but yours looks like it works better.
              Last edited by william; 03-17-2017, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X