Video-How to read OBD1 Codes- & CEL Code 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video-How to read OBD1 Codes- & CEL Code 17

I know this is probably Festiva 101 to a lot of you guys, but I found the process kind of confusing without a visual aid. So, I decided to make a short video showing how to read the codes on your Festiva.

In my case I got a code 17. Code 17 is the Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor. I am looking forward to getting this fixed because it could be responsible for a lot of problems I've been having with my car. According to the shop manual a bad Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor can cause Stalling, hesitation during acceleration, misfires, surges, rough idle, and engine speeding up. At one time or another I have had every single one of these symptoms in the past week. After I replace it I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Also, I notice that Code 15 is also the Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor. I am wondering what the difference between the two codes is.

I've also attached the Trouble Code chart below the video.

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 2.25.33 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Timothy; 01-27-2017, 03:25 PM.
    1992 Ford Festiva 1.3 L 4-cylinder

I don't know the difference between the two, but my 89 was giving that code 17 when the lead to the O2 sensor was broken.
    "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
    "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
    "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
    "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
    "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
    "Wenona"-89L parts car
    "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Holy hell, replacing that O2 sensor was WAY harder than it should of been. I went out and bought an offset O2 socket and it just rounded the bolt. So I did what this guy did in this thread ( http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...sensor+removal ) and I beat the thing with a hammer, broke it off and used a 7/8 socket along with a torch.

Anyway, car is much better. Idle is smoother, acceleration seemed faster and more responsive, no more hiccups during acceleration, and the car was able to maintain speeds going uphill with less of a struggle. I hope all these positive effects aren't all in my head because it really did seem better.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
        Holy hell, replacing that O2 sensor was WAY harder than it should of been. I went out and bought an offset O2 socket and it just rounded the bolt. So I did what this guy did in this thread ( http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...sensor+removal ) and I beat the thing with a hammer, broke it off and used a 7/8 socket along with a torch.

Anyway, car is much better. Idle is smoother, acceleration seemed faster and more responsive, no more hiccups during acceleration, and the car was able to maintain speeds going uphill with less of a struggle. I hope all these positive effects aren't all in my head because it really did seem better.
        I took my Manifold off and Put a pool of PB blaster inside so it would sit on the threads for a couple of days before I could get mine off.
        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
          I took my Manifold off and Put a pool of PB blaster inside so it would sit on the threads for a couple of days before I could get mine off.
          I was thinking about going that route but my heat shield bolts were good and rusted and I didn't know if I wanted to go through the hassle of snapping them off. I have a rounded bolt removal kit but I didn't have the right size to take them out.

Comment

Working...
          X