Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak & Crankshaft Pulley

Hi all,

Newbie here. 92 Festiva L, 5 speed manual, 190K, B3, EFI, no A/C, bought it about a year ago.

I've got me a big ole oil leak. Passenger side is all oiled up including the alternator and belt and streaks almost to the tailgate. When I clean the area off and let her idle, I detect no leaks. Drive for awhile, and it's been so thrown around that I can't tell where it's coming from. It's definitely lower. I suspect the front seal or the oil pan near the front seal. Thoughts?

I just took off the timing belt covers. Not tons of oil inside, but it is finding it's way up the backside of the timing belt. I didn't go any further because I don't have an open wrench big enough for the crankshaft bolt (what size is it? I appear to have the 'big nose' and a pulley like the one on the left in this thread: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3709 ) Even if I did, I don't understand the prybar through the starter hole trick to hold the flywheel. There's nothing on the other side of the teeth to grab onto and the angle is very weird, with nothing to wedge to in the engine compartment. Does this simply need to be a two-man operation?

In a related issue, the crankshaft pulley has always had a wobble. Now I know why. When the timing belt was replaced last, they must have over torqued one of the bolts. It snapped off with very little force removing the pulley, and the pulley and washer plate holding it on are bent around that hole. Will this cause any long-term problems other than wear and stress on the belt? Will the wobble travel back to the timing belt or engine? If so, could this cause the seal to go bad? Where might I be able to find a replacement pulley and/or replacement bolt? It's not quite as bad now that I flipped the washer plate, but it still wobbles.

And one last question, when I get the problem fixed, how do I go about cleaning the alternator without damaging it?

Thanks,
    Hippy

p.s. the name comes from my Air Force Days. Not a real tree hugger, but I am a little stinky after playing in all that grease.

22 mm or 21, can't remember, just use an impact comes right off, no pry bar needed, at least that's what I did. Unbolt the upper engine mount from the engine and remove the inner splash shield, lower the moter down and get the bolt from the wheel well. I used a jack under the oilpan.
    69 Shelby GT-350, 351W, 4 spd
    97 Jag xk8 vert
    06 Mini Cooper S GP
    93 Stiva
    04 Volvo S80

Comment

Yes, those harmonics could be damaging to many things. Stuff we can't accurately predict.

I would go to the junkyard and pull a new pulley and whatever else you'd need.

I've used the impact with complete success at removing/installing that bolt without trying to hold it with a strap wrench or anything.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

The oil is probably coming out of the camshaft seal, dripping down to the bottom, and making you think it is the crank seal. I just went through the same thing. The seal is semi-easy to replace

Comment

If you dont have an impact wrench for the crankshaft bolt have someone put the car in fourth gear clutch out and hold the brake pedal down while you try to loosen it The crankshaft bolt is a 22-21 in metric but it has a standard equivalent.
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

21mm... same size on the b6, which i just did today.

have someone put it in gear and stomp the breaks while you try to turn it (assuming you don't have an impact wrench). that should work, if not you can remove the starter and when you remove the starter you will see the teeth from the flywheel, have someone (carefully) jam those while you turn the bolt.
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

skeeters keeper wrote:

"have someone put it in gear and stomp the breaks while you try to turn it (assuming you don't have an impact wrench). that should work,"

I wished Id said that, oh wait I did
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Change the Cam and Crank seals. They cost a lot less than the oil you'll keep pouring in it.
                To change the cam seal, use a large socket and push it into the engine. Remove the valve cover and cut the seal in two and remove.
                To change the crank seal use a small screwdriver and work around the edges to pull it out.
                ~Jeff
                1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
                1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
                2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

Working...
                X