Balljoint replacement (with pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balljoint replacement (with pictures)

My new balljoints arrived tonight from Festiva Motor Sport!

1. Soak all bolts to be removed with PB blaster (wish I had done this in the first place)

2. Remove sway bar

3. Remove balljoint/arm bolt on frame (14mm) The nut for this bolt is a square nut encased in a square cage inside the frame. All you need to do is unscrew the one side and pull it out of the bushing.

4. Remove balljoint/arm bolt on the steering knuckle. On one side i had to pry apart the two pieces with a large screwdriver and on the other side it just came right out. Do whatever you gotta do.

5. Remove the balljoint/arm. Gawk at how trashed it is. Feel lucky to be alive after going on an 8 hour trip.

6. Clean up all your bolts on the wire wheel and apply some anti-sieze

7. Install the new balljoint/arm. You may need to use a rubber mallet to push it up into the socket enough so the bolt can go through the slot on the ball joint stem.

8. Put the new bushings on the sway bar and install the ends of the sway bar into the lower arm FIRST before attaching it to the front of the vehicle. Support the front of the sway bar so it is level and not laying on the ground. Install the other half of the bushings, the cap, the bolt and the cotter pin.

9. Tada!

I was kinda bummed when I got all this back together to find some play in the steering but at least my balljoints are super tight now. I'll find out tomorrow if I still have the 65mph wobble.
Working...
X