Festiva Starting Issues In the Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva Starting Issues In the Rain

With all the rain So Cali has been getting;I'm having problems with getting the Festy started..I had a problem with starting a couple days ago. I went in and changed the cap and rotor and cleaned the ends of the plug wires. The car started fine until this morning and then it didn't start again. Should I go ahead and replace the wires? HELP

If they're old, that's a good start, but I would also look for spark jump at the coil tower.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Try spraying with WD-40. It removes moisture. (WD = water dispersant)
      Last edited by WmWatt; 02-07-2017, 09:22 PM.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by MERTOMAS View Post
        With all the rain So Cali has been getting;I'm having problems with getting the Festy started..I had a problem with starting a couple days ago. I went in and changed the cap and rotor and cleaned the ends of the plug wires. The car started fine until this morning and then it didn't start again.
        I replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, rotor, distributor cap and coil on my car not long after I bought it. Not all components were replaced on the same day, but I do recall that the installation of a new coil (the last item in the list to be replaced) served to improve some residual starting and warm running issues that were present beforehand.

I used a steel brush on a Dremel to remove the corrosion on the ring terminals, etc. that connected to the positive and negative posts of the coil. That may have had something to do with it. The original spark plugs weren't gapped as well as they could have been, either, and I do recall carbon tracks evident on the old cap and rotor, also. So perhaps it's part or the sum of these issues that need attending to on your car.

Dielectric grease was used liberally, but not excessively, during the aforementioned work. That's the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned your issues with starting the car during prolonged periods of rain. Be sure to use it as you proceed here.

Comment

I have never had an issue with rain, just every time i wash the engine... water gets inside the cap and rotor. Remove, dry, and it should work.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks to All..The plug wires especially the one from the coil to the distributor..Once I replaced the coil wire..it cranked right up
            MERTOMAS

Comment

Working...
            X