Crank pulley timing marks on a B3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank pulley timing marks on a B3

So im gonna check the timing on this thing with a timing light and i see 2 small notches on the crank pulley. Idk if they were hit with anything b4 or if they came like this from factory. Deal is my distribuitor is all the way advanced and i wanna back it back to the correct spot or atleast as advanced as possible with out getting pinging. Ive been driving this thing with pinging for a while now and i just realized how unsafe that it. I wanna set it right and i know i gotta mark one of those marks or indents in the crank shaft pulley so which one or how do i go about this? Btw i looked all over for an answer and all i get is the timing belt sprocket and not the crankshaft pulley timing marks. Please help. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Good luck I set mine by backing off the advance till the pinging goes away. I keep a ratchet and socket in the car. Everytime I go to work I back it down just a hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
      Good luck I set mine by backing off the advance till the pinging goes away. I keep a ratchet and socket in the car. Everytime I go to work I back it down just a hair.
      Thats what im looking at doing to be honest... sucks

Comment

There looks like there are 2 sections on the plastic part, to the left like at 11 o'clock there apears to be a tab, further to the right there is the section with a 10 some lines in between that and a T. So i marked what i thought would be the indentation and ran the timing light. Set it a bit advanced but lots retarded from what it was. This this thing was advanced to the max no more room to keep going. I got a feeling she wont run as peppy. But im after better fuel economy so will see.

Comment

On the pully and cover you describe, the two marks on the pully are set; left mark on the 10° BTDC, right mark on the "T" (TDC), this is your 10° advanced base timing.
          the tab at 11:00 o'clock is used to set belt tension.
          No car too fast !

Comment

The easiest way to time these b series engines is from the inside of the crank pulley. The pin on the pulley by the crank bolt is tdc when straight up as it relates to the mark on the crank cog. Use a timing light you can set to desired timing and shoot at the crank bolt. When the pin is straight up your set. So many times the dampers walk a bit or the marks get confusing like you see now.

Comment

I would say accurate as opposed to easy, too true, I have a pile of the isolastic dampers where the bond has failed and the pulley ring marks are a little off to way off.
              No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                On the pully and cover you describe, the two marks on the pully are set; left mark on the 10° BTDC, right mark on the "T" (TDC), this is your 10° advanced base timing.
                the tab at 11:00 o'clock is used to set belt tension.
                Oh. Good to know lol. Btw car is running real nice! Has pep still and pinging under load went away. Have to change cap and rotor as they are old tho.

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
                  The easiest way to time these b series engines is from the inside of the crank pulley. The pin on the pulley by the crank bolt is tdc when straight up as it relates to the mark on the crank cog. Use a timing light you can set to desired timing and shoot at the crank bolt. When the pin is straight up your set. So many times the dampers walk a bit or the marks get confusing like you see now.
                  Ok cool i will look at that thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                    I would say accurate as opposed to easy, too true, I have a pile of the isolastic dampers where the bond has failed and the pulley ring marks are a little off to way off.
                    Lol i bet

Comment

Good to hear!
                      Don't. Forget to clean and save the old cap and rotor, I wrap mine in a new microfiber and put in a quart ziplok, stored in the taillight access.
                      No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
                      X