Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need assistance on steering column. Broken blinker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need assistance on steering column. Broken blinker.

My windshield wipers are stuck on and affect my blinkers. Something snapped inside. Do I need a whole new column?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

No, the Wiper and turnsignal come off as a unit. Gotta remove the steering wheel. Its fairly easy
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

How to find me:

Comment

The center white ring with the protruding tabs is fragile and is common to break. Also, the unit shown is for an 88/89. 90-93 have a steeper angle to follow the change in the steering wheel.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Know where to get one?

Comment

Thanks for info too

Comment

Junkyards and Ebay, or make a wanted thread. I should have a White-lettered one (90-93, like you need) available shortly, if you are interested.
              Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

[QUOTE=w4rkry; Gotta remove the steering wheel. Its fairly easy[/QUOTE]

you musta got lucky. last 2 i tried to pull need a cylinder of Mapp, a can of PB and Jaws of Death puller.

Comment

It's all about the method.... I've never had to use anything but my hands and ratchet for the center nut.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Me too loosen nut wiggle wheel and pop, comes right off.
                    I've only done 10 or so , but same resalts every time. I did have a 323 the was a bit difficult in the junk yard once but it came off after a bit of persuasion.
                    Last edited by william; 03-01-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

When your pry out the center plastic Ford steering wheel logo plug, a long 13/16 socket (spark plug socket) fits perfectly or use a 21 mm socket on an extension. Center your steering wheel before you pull it off and then you will know the position to align it when you are ready to put it back on. After you remove the steering wheel, you will need to remove a few screws in the plastic cover that surrounds the column switch assembly. Be sure to note which screw was removed from which hole because there are differences.
                      There is a spring type clamp that holds the switch assembly on the column and you will have to loosen that clamp screw from underneath. There is also a plastic tab on the top of the assembly that drops into a slot on the steering wheel housing, so be sure to lift that tab gently before you try to pull the switch assembly off. Then you will also need to remove all the wires that are plugged into the switch assembly before you can take it off. I have a couple of spare switch assemblies. What year is your Festiva? Does it have orange or white lettering on the switch light and wiper stalks? If it's just the center white ring that is broken, I have an extra one of those.
                      If you have a digital camera take pictures as you remove things.
                      Last edited by 1990new; 03-01-2017, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X