Stuck throttle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck throttle cable

My throttle cable stuck wide open yesterday, while driving. It was very exciting. :-) Luckily I was only a mile from home. Started the car in 2nd, let it accelerate to ~40mph, then shut the engine off, put it in neutral and coasted. Repeated that several times.

I have a spare good used cable, but was wondering if I could just try to rehabilitate this one--i.e. with some spray lube. WD-40 brand makes a silicon-based product that says it's for cables, but they also make a PTFE type which is what I thought of using; but that one doesn't mention cable lubing as a use.

Might as well hit the clutch cable while I'm at it.

Your thoughts?
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

I'd check out the local motorcycle shop and see what they use/recommend.
    Last edited by Team Lightning; 03-02-2017, 02:25 PM.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I've always understood PTFE to be Teflon... Good for a new cable install, but poor for dissolving debris.... I would pull the cable assembly and hose it down with a solvent type lube while working it in The sleeve untill clear, then choke it full of lithium grease.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I would try aerosol graphite lube. Thats the best for speedo cables so it should work on a throttle cable.
        I had mine stick wide open once too, was interesting
        It was cold in the winter and i downshifted to second and floored it to go through a yellow light. Pedal froze to the floor, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
          I'd check out the local motorcycle shop and see what they use/recommend.
          Went there, they were out of cable lube!

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          I've always understood PTFE to be Teflon... Good for a new cable install, but poor for dissolving debris.... I would pull the cable assembly and hose it down with a solvent type lube while working it in The sleeve untill clear, then choke it full of lithium grease.
          Yep, PTFE = teflon. Solvent type lube as in regular WD40?

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
          I would try aerosol graphite lube. Thats the best for speedo cables so it should work on a throttle cable.
          I had mine stick wide open once too, was interesting
          It was cold in the winter and i downshifted to second and floored it to go through a yellow light. Pedal froze to the floor, lol.
          As in, "Hey, who put a turbo on my car when I wasn't looking?!" :-)

I think the motorcycle shop had the spray graphite.
          Last edited by TominMO; 03-02-2017, 02:34 PM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

You could try a bicycle shop too.
            Jerry
            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
              You could try a bicycle shop too.
              Two of them near me, good idea.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Yes, solvent as I'd old school wd-40.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Turns out my diagnosis was totally bogus. No cable sticking at all. I squirted some WD40 in there anyway, which made it seem even smoother, but it was OK before. I then started the car, with the throttle cable disconnected. It still revs to the moon!

Took off the hose to see the throttle body. It was not stuck in the open position, and it opened and closed properly when turning the piece the throttle cable connects to. All that seems normal.

Any other ideas come to mind? I feel it is some simple mechanical issue, but maybe it's a faulty TPS? BTW, the motor is a gen2 B6 SOHC, intake and long block.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 03-02-2017, 05:30 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Vacuum leak!!! Or more likely the IAC is stuck open. Take and block off the fresh air feed to the IAC and retest.

Comment

IAC blocked off, no change; still revs to 5K. Very little possibility of a vac leak, this system is so simple. No CEL either.
                      Last edited by TominMO; 03-02-2017, 06:35 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

5k means ALOT of air... There's a hole somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                          5k means A LOT of air... There's a hole somewhere.
                          I'll check for a leak in the intake manifold itself from underneath, on Saturday.

Edit: just went out and did a kwik check of the few vac lines, and the two unused vac ports that were plugged off; also felt the underside of the intake mani for a hole. Nothing.
                          Last edited by TominMO; 03-02-2017, 07:33 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I thought this thread was about a "stock throttle cable".
                            Maybe time for some eyeglasses soon.
                            What's the Ford part number? BZ-9A758?
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 03-02-2017, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                              I thought this thread was about a "stock throttle cable".
                              Maybe time for some eyeglasses soon.
                              What's the Ford part number?
                              BZ-9A758
                              I have no idea what all of the engineering suffixes stand for.
                              Stuck, not stock! :-)

Vacuum-wise, there are only two vac lines--one to the brake booster, and another one to my aftermarket fuel pressure regulator. And the IAC system going to the intake piping. That's it, unless I missed one.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                              X