Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing and idle

Hey Guys,
    My 88 carby is finally running again! It was an adventure getting here( I had burned wires in the engine harness, and a bad ignition module). I had to remove the dash and front fender to get at the wire harness and it was a slow process, but it did it!
    I have a couple of questions. It now has the Check Engine Light on and is throwing a code........01 which is coil and harness. I have a MSD ignition box attached and I am assuming that is the reason. I know the tach wire comes into the coil normally, but it goes through the MSD box now and oddly If i jump the self check single plug to the tach wire in the other self check 6 plug....the light goes off, but the code remains. Any ideas?

Second question is about timing. When using the timing gun, the mark is bouncing back and forth with about a 15 degree difference. Why would it be doing this?? Normally the strobe makes it appear to be moving a little, but this is something else. It is idling a little high and this makes me wonder if maybe the idle was adjusted by one of the 3 mechanics i took it to to fix the wiring. None were successful. Should i lower the idle by the white screw and then set the timing again? Otherwise the distributor has to be adjusted all the way back to run and its choppy.

Thanks in advance for any advice.....

Verify mechanical timing first. Then check the mechanicals of the dizzy for slop/play. Correct any faults first. Then set idle with the white screw. I recommend ~8* btdc on carbed engines if they are sound. Strive for 650 rpm warm at 8*. This is a balancing act between timing and rpm as they affect each other.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thank you, FestY. I know you also had/have a MSD box on one of your cars. Did it cause your Ecu to throw code 01 as well? If not, do you have any idea why mine is? I cannot pass the California smog test with a CEL illuminated. Like i stated above, I have found a way to turn it off, but it is still there if i remove the jump.

Comment

No codes from my install. I would suspect the repairs to the harness has something to do with it. It may also be a false code. I'm going to presume that the light hast to function to pass smog?
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

yes.......i assume that the ecu gets a signal when there isnt enough voltage at the tach?? That is all I can think of unless I didnt make good enough connections and the signal is degraded somehow? Time to break out the voltage meter and check everything i guess.....really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. Thanks again.
          Last edited by wighty; 03-07-2017, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Isn't there a smog exemption in Calif. for vehicles over a certain age? This car is almost 30 years old.
            Last edited by TominMO; 03-07-2017, 09:47 PM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

No! If anything they are more strict and even offer you money to take it off the streets. However, I have passed it every time but its an automatic fail with a CEL lighting up your dash.

Comment

Working...
              X