Scratch repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch repair

My new-to-me Kia Rondo has a shallow scratch on the driver's door, about 4" long. It is not even down to the primer. What is the best way to make this scratch go away? Some sort of scratch-fix kit? If so, what ones work best?
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

If the color is still there, take some rubbing compound perpendicular to it to feather the gouge then follow with scratch-x (meguires) to polish it out. Use a finger block for the compound.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I've had great luck with Turtle Wax brand polishing compound and scratch remover. I usually apply by hand and then use my electric buffer to clean it up.

Comment

Thanks guys. Arty, rubbing compound or polishing compound? Rubbing seems a bit harsh.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The rubbing compound is used to knock down the edges of clear coat that make the scratch so visible. An that's also why you use a finger block and perpendicular to the scratch. Polishing compound isnt aggressive enough for that job.

The scratch-x is a fine polishing compound to then make it all shiney again.
          Last edited by FestYboy; 03-10-2017, 10:37 AM.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            The rubbing compound is used to knock down the edges of clear coat that make the scratch so visible. An that's also why you use a finger block and perpendicular to the scratch. Polishing compound isnt aggressive enough for that job.

The scratch-x is a fine polishing compound to then make it all shiney again.
            Thanx 4 da explan.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

What colour is the car?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can feel the scratch catch on your finger nail your wasiting your time. It will need sanded out and painted.
                You can always touch it up if your not looking for perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                  If you can feel the scratch catch on your finger nail your wasiting your time. It will need sanded out and painted.
                  You can always touch it up if your not looking for perfection.
                  Haven't actually tried the fingernail test, but it is very thin and shallow, hard to notice unless you are looking for it or catch it at just the right angle.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 03-10-2017, 02:17 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Then festboys suggestions may work for you. The rubbing compound is kinda harsh but that's what you need if you don't have any 2500 sand paper. The compound will lightly sand it then polish it back up with your polish and a different rag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by william; 03-10-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X