Manual transmission ticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual transmission ticking

When the clutch is depressed and I put it in any gear there is a ticking sound that will continue unless I take it out of gear and into neutral or I let the clutch out and start driving.

What future repair do I have to look forward to now?
    Last edited by Timothy; 03-15-2017, 08:26 AM.
    1992 Ford Festiva 1.3 L 4-cylinder

Just when in gear?
    If it dose it with the clutch in even in neutral. I would say throwout bearing

Comment

Sure it's transmission and not CV axle? Does it do it when parked or just when moving?
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

It only happens when he car is standing still and the sound goes away when the clutch is depressed and in neutral.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

How is your fluid level?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good question. I just gave it a fresh oil change and filled it with 3.6 quarts.

Is there a way to check the transaxle fluid level on a manual?
            Last edited by Timothy; 03-15-2017, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I just read the manual and it says to reme speedometer and cable from transaxle to check fluid level. I'll let you know when I get in there to check the level. I bought the car 4 months ago and it has 142,xxx on it so it could probably use a transaxle oil change.
              Last edited by Timothy; 03-15-2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                Just when in gear?
                If it dose it with the clutch in even in neutral. I would say throwout bearing
                +1
                Try loosening your clutch cable adjustment several turns, needs to have a little space there, most likely cause.
                No car too fast !

Comment

Be careful when checking your fluid don't pry up on that little tap it will snap same goes with reinstalling make sure it's all the way seated before tightening it. I just take out the 10mm then pull on the cable housing and wiggle, it will pop out if it's stuck try turning back and forth then pulling

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by william; 03-15-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                    Be careful when checking your fluid don't pry up on that little tap it will snap same goes with reinstalling make sure it's all the way seated before tightening it. I just take out the 10mm then pull on the cable housing and wiggle, it will pop out if it's stuck try turning back and forth then pulling

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                    What a great tip! I would never figured out how to get the off if you hadn't helped me out. Thanks.

Ok trans oil looks remarkably good. It has a nice vibrant pink color. It does look like it was low. It's about a 1/2 lower than the low mark.

I'll be purchasing the oil tonight and getting the fluids to the right level. I will try and adjust the clutch cable after that.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                      What a great tip! I would never figured out how to get the off if you hadn't helped me out. Thanks.

Ok trans oil looks remarkably good. It has a nice vibrant pink color. It does look like it was low. It's about a 1/2 lower than the low mark.

I'll be purchasing the oil tonight and getting the fluids to the right level. I will try and adjust the clutch cable after that.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.
                      If you want some late night entertainment search for threads on here for what oil to use in your transmission

Comment

LOL. It's funny you should mention that because I'm searching for info on that right now. Auto zones' apart search for my car recommends automatic trans fluid. Does that sound right?

Anyway... What would you recommend I use?

Comment

Here is what I think I'm going to get.

STP/1 qt. Mercon V transmission fluid

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                            LOL. It's funny you should mention that because I'm searching for info on that right now. Auto zones' apart search for my car recommends automatic trans fluid. Does that sound right?

Anyway... What would you recommend I use?
                            Yup, just the cheapest aft you can find. If something is wrong youll have to drain it anyway, if you want to switch to something else later the new atf will have flushed out some of the gunk that stays in the trans when you drain the oil.
                            Atf is fine for daily driving, its what most people use. And super cheap.
                            Next up would be hondas MTF
                            Then penzoils syncromesh
                            Then real GM syncromesh
                            Then amsoil/redline synthetic MTF
                            Advancedynamics uses some synthetic 20w50 motor oil and says its better than anything else. I think it would be too thick, he has actually used it and looked at the oil when it gets drained and says theres less wear with it than anything else, so we go with that.

But for daily driving atf would be my choice. Anything really. My output shaft seals were leaking real bad and i was tired of always carrying around 2 jugs of oil so i used 10w30 and 5w30 in my transmission for like 2 years. It was going through a quart every 2 weeks or so.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation and additional fluid choices.
                              Last edited by Timothy; 03-15-2017, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X