Missing timing marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
    When you pull the head, carefully inspect the valves and seats for burn through.
    yep, sounds like stuck open valve, don't it?

With those compression numbers and no other symptoms, HG doesn't seem a likely cause. Lack of fuel pressure, burnt or open valve, maybe, but went from one engine to the next. Looking for spark leak and verifying bright blue spark at the number one plug is something I would do first.
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Another thing you can do is turn the valve cover upside down when you get it off and look for cabon deposits which indicate leaking exhaust valve(s). My #3 was leaking and a chemical addidtive dissolved the carbon deposits and brought the compression back up. Nice when it's a cheap and simple repair.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I did some more troubleshooting today and found that the car idles perfectly with the VAF completely unplugged. So I tested the terminals and found that what should be the battery voltage is only 5 volts, same as the reference voltage. When I manually applied 12v it idled way better but it didn't fix everything so now I'm really leaning towards bad ecm since that battery voltage wire comes directly from there.

Comment

Working...
        X