Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My guess is it's a bad ignigtion switch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My guess is it's a bad ignigtion switch...

but maybe somebody here has run into this before. Last time I drove my '90 Festy (about 2 weeks ago) it started and ran just fine. Went to fire it up Friday and got no idiots lights 'til I turned the key towards the "start" position. Engine turned right over, and seemed to run momentarily, as I backed off the key, but died as soon as the key returned to the "on/run" spot, with still no idiot lights. Did this several times, so I have to assume that there're contacts in the switch that've worn to the point that they aren't aligned any more to keep the circuit closed. Of course, I'm really expecting some Festiva magician here to tell me the secret to fixin' this is to use a BFH to heavily tap the muffler bearings while the car's facing due North during a full moon, or replace the radiator with an original from a '64 VW Beetle. If neither of these cures will work, I guess it means takin' apart the cover on the steering column and sprayin' with some contact cleaner. Any other suggestions?
    Rob J

Try spraying WD-40 or contact cleaner into the keyhole and work it in by pushing the key in and out. There is information on this site about taking the switch apart and cleaning the contacts. For that info try a search on "ignition switch". Good luck.
    Last edited by WmWatt; 03-19-2017, 05:32 PM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks you, sir. I know about that post, but I was hopin' that I could keep from havin' to pull the switch.
      As far as disassembling the switch itself, the ol' eyeballs and fine motor skills aren't conducive to that kind of stuff these days. Takin' apart switches and guns and stuff ain't as easy when you can't find out where all the little parts and springs went flyin' when you drop 'em. Actually, the takin' apart ain't so much the problem 'cause you can always find a bigger hammer, it's the gettin' back together again when ya can't find every little part that it becomes a challenge.
      Rob J

Comment

Ummm, how does spraying the barrel affect the switch? Last I checked, the switch is on the outside of the tumbler assembly.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          Ummm, how does spraying the barrel affect the switch? Last I checked, the switch is on the outside of the tumbler assembly.
          Maybe he has access to the high-pressure, gallon-sized can of WD-40? Or tip the car on its side so the stuff runs all the way down into every little crevice? :^)
          Rob J

Comment

Sometimes the solder get's hot enough to melt in there when there's a short.
            Check to see if your meter fuse is still ok too.
            If it turns out that you need a new ignition switch harness, I have a good one
            that I'll let you have for $35 shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
              Sometimes the solder get's hot enough to melt in there when there's a short.
              Check to see if your meter fuse is still ok too.
              If it turns out that you need a new ignition switch harness, I have a good one
              that I'll let you have for $35 shipped.
              Thanks. As far as I know, it hasn't gotten hot. Ran fine a couple of weeks ago. Might have time to get into it this week. Meantime, I have my '89 Festy I can drive, the '87 RangerSTX and my 1100 Virago so I can get to work.
              ETA: Idiot lights don't show when the switch is in "on/run" position, they just come on when I turn it to start. Engine catches but dies on releasing pressure and letting key go back to "on" again. Might go out this evening and hit it with some WD-40 and/or contact cleaner, then use PB Blaster tomorrow.
              Last edited by bugbor; 03-19-2017, 07:30 PM. Reason: additional info
              Rob J

Comment

"Ummm, how does spraying the barrel affect the switch? Last I checked, the switch is on the outside of the tumbler assembly."
                Dunno but spraying into the keyhole cures occassional wiper switch problems for me and it's not connected at all so why not ignition switch?
                Last edited by WmWatt; 03-19-2017, 08:32 PM.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

^ lol!
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                    "Ummm, how does spraying the barrel affect the switch? Last I checked, the switch is on the outside of the tumbler assembly."
                    Dunno but spraying into the keyhole cures occassional wiper switch problems for me and it's not connected at all so why not ignition switch?
                    So it's kinda like my idea of the BFH on the muffler bearings? Not connected so it can't hurt. Guess I'll try sprayin' from the other side where the wiper stalk is.
                    Rob J

Comment

Originally posted by bugbor View Post
                      but maybe somebody here has run into this before. Last time I drove my '90 Festy (about 2 weeks ago) it started and ran just fine. Went to fire it up Friday and got no idiots lights 'til I turned the key towards the "start" position. Engine turned right over, and seemed to run momentarily, as I backed off the key, but died as soon as the key returned to the "on/run" spot, with still no idiot lights. Did this several times, so I have to assume that there're contacts in the switch that've worn to the point that they aren't aligned any more to keep the circuit closed. Of course, I'm really expecting some Festiva magician here to tell me the secret to fixin' this is to use a BFH to heavily tap the muffler bearings while the car's facing due North during a full moon, or replace the radiator with an original from a '64 VW Beetle. If neither of these cures will work, I guess it means takin' apart the cover on the steering column and sprayin' with some contact cleaner. Any other suggestions?
                      The stock Festiva mufflers now available are using cheap Chinese bearings, so it is not advisable to "heavily tap" them with a BFH.

Rock Auto does not even list the radiator for the '64 Beetles any longer. This is probably why we see so few of them on the roads any more. :-(

Anyway, these are not your problems. Most likely, excess gravity has shifted your ignition switch counter-clockwise, for the idiot lights to come on in the Start position. The proper cure is to drive it on the hwy as fast as possible, then slam on the brakes, to shift the switch back to a more clockwise orientation. It may take several attempts.

"Why no officer, I was just trying to....."
                      Last edited by TominMO; 03-19-2017, 10:41 PM.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Guess I'll have to go along with the excess gravity theory. That'd explain why I'm bulgin' out at and below the waist line, resemblin' the shape of the Earth. I like pears, so pear shaped must be good.
                        Didn't do anything with the car yesterday afternoon so it's about time for me to go out there and spray liberal applications of several aerosols into the atmosphere. Gotta do my part to increase globull warmening, you know.
                        Rob J

Comment

Originally posted by bugbor View Post
                          Guess I'll have to go along with the excess gravity theory. That'd explain why I'm bulgin' out at and below the waist line, resemblin' the shape of the Earth. I like pears, so pear shaped must be good.
                          Didn't do anything with the car yesterday afternoon so it's about time for me to go out there and spray liberal applications of several aerosols into the atmosphere. Gotta do my part to increase globull warmening, you know.
                          Many people seem to be living in excess-gravity zones. Apparently, fast-food places are usually built in those zones. And the USA is especially prone to having excess gravity.
                          Last edited by TominMO; 03-20-2017, 06:51 PM.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Okay, gang, here's what happened today. Decided that I might be able to get it to stay running by starting the engine and releasing the switch partway. Worked if I didn't let it return all the way to "on", which wasn't always easy. Sprayed contact cleaner into the keyhole and through a gap between the plastic and the switch assembly. Worked the key several times, then hit the switch with PB Blaster. When I turned the key on again, I noticed a flicker of idiot lights just before the "on" position but they went away 'til I got almost to "start" when they showed up again. Tried cycling the key back and forth from "lock" to "on" to "start" several times. Fired up the engine and brought the key almost all the way to "on" and held it there while engine stayed running. Found key would stay in place just slightly past "on" or I could bring up the revs and jump past "on" to a spot between there and "lock" and keep it going. More PB Blaster in the switch, cycle the key a bit more, and she would now keep running even in the "on" position. Cycled everything several more times, took it for about a 5 mile run and everything seems to be fine.
                            Oh, yeah, even when I couldn't get lights at first, when the key went to "on" the cooling fan started up. No idea what was wrong, other than maybe lots of dirt and gunk where it shouldn't have been, but seems to be okay now.
                            Thanks for the ideas and encouragement, and sorry to hear that muffler bearings are now cheap Chinese crap instead of the good ol' fashioned teflon-coated ones. Will also look out for excess gravity zones in the future.

ETA: In spite of the title in the original post, I really do know how to spell "ignition", honest I do.
                            Last edited by bugbor; 03-20-2017, 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling in title of original post
                            Rob J

Comment

^^lol! You mght want to carry that spray can in the car in case the problem reappears.
                              Last edited by WmWatt; 03-21-2017, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X