Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify-a-Part

My question for the day:

Looking at the photo below, it appears Hard Rubber Ring A has broken free from Rubber Spoked Thing B and is now hanging loose on my front axle/driveshaft.

1. What is it and what is it's function? Some sort of anti-vibration thing? Counterweight?
    2. Does it need replacing, or should I just hack off the ring part so it's not swinging around wildly under there?

I apologize if this is identified in the Haynes manual. Mine is en route via USPS.
    93 Festiva - manual trans
    graphic design junk: www.standard-design.com

Hack it off. Only the factory driveshafts had those. All the rebuilt driveshafts had those removed and it doesn't make a difference.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Yea, just cut it off. Its there to reduce vibration but it looks like you have a bigger problem, leaky crank or cam seal or valvecover gasket or all three.
      And welcome to the sight.
      ~Jeff
      1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
      1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
      2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

OK, thanks for the input - I'll hack it off. It's pretty tough.. might have to saw it if I can get a hold of it right. Boltcutters, maybe, hmmm.

and yes, the PO was driving this thing around with a bad valve cover gasket (which I just replaced thanks to the help of this forum). He kept topping off the oil so it actually runs pretty well, but there's oil everywhere... in the plugwires, in the air intake, on the belt, and of course all over the exterior of the engine. I've had the car 2 weeks and all I've been doing is degreasing and replacing stuff under the hood.

On the upside, the oil-soaked undercarriage has kept 'er relatively rust-free. heh.
        93 Festiva - manual trans
        graphic design junk: www.standard-design.com

Comment

hey man its money well spent lol these cars are worth every penny, just in mpg alone
          2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
          1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
          1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
          http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

Working...
          X