Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most common area of transaxle fluid loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the most common area of transaxle fluid loss?

manual tranny 5 speed?
    I'm down a little more than a quart since last summer- and I was hoping maybe the leak was slower since I hadn't checked it before that for years,and found it way down last summer.

Where is the most common source? Does it join and seal with the CV axles and leak there? I checked around the plug where I drained it last summer and it didn't seem bad, but a little wetter around the passenger CV than the drivers side.

I'm parked mostly on grass here in Florida, so it's hard to see a trail I think.

Also is there any kind of stop leak available? I wouldn't think so for trannys, but I've had some results with cooling system stop leak, and bought some time until that inevitable water pump replacement.. For now I've gone back to filling with heavier gear oil- it outta be clean at least!
    I have two more quarts of syncromesh I 'm trying to save for the '91 Festy.

Thanks for any info!
    Last edited by harpon; 03-31-2017, 01:14 PM.

Best bet is to crawl under there with safety glasses and high pressure brake cleaner and clean it all then see where its leaking.
    1 cv shaft seals
    2 fill hole
    3 shift shaft seal
    4 input shaft seal
    5 breather on top of trans
    6 a hole in the trans that shouldnt be there.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Between the case halves should be somewhere on that list as well. I don't like to recommend stop leak for anything, as it tends to create other problems while preventing leaks, but the risk is probably relatively low on something as simple as a manual transmission.
      Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
      Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
      White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
      White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
      Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
      Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
      Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
      White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Axlander9289 View Post
        Between the case halves should be somewhere on that list as well. I don't like to recommend stop leak for anything, as it tends to create other problems while preventing leaks, but the risk is probably relatively low on something as simple as a manual transmission.
        Stop leak seals small passages. Like say around your syncro rings.
        If you had a hole draining the fluid and using jb weld would be better. If a seal is leaking just replace it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine is leaking heaps from cv shaft seals. And the cv joints were replaced only three weeks ago by a shop. Spewin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Robalan View Post
            Mine is leaking heaps from cv shaft seals. And the cv joints were replaced only three weeks ago by a sho
            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            They obviously did not replace the output shaft seals. You should go back there and talk nice to them and they may pull the axles and replace the seals at a reduced price. Although actually new seals should have been part of the job as you can now see. Good luck!
            '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
            '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
            '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Harpon, since you're using ATF I would suggest going to a thicker fluid. ATF is ridiculously thin stuff.

Charlie uses 20W50 motorcycle racing oil, and so do I (because he does). This alone may well cure all leaking issues.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

[QUOTE=TominMO;739081]Harpon, since you're using ATF I would suggest going to a thicker fluid. ATF is ridiculously thin stuff.

Yeah- like I said, I've replenished with gear oil and will continue to do so for awhile- hopefully it may slow it down but not expecting a miracle there. Had it out a few miles yesterday- still shifting good.

Clean it up as I can and keep an eye on it is the current plan I guess.
                Last edited by harpon; 04-01-2017, 12:33 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=harpon;739098]
                  Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                  Harpon, since you're using ATF I would suggest going to a thicker fluid. ATF is ridiculously thin stuff.

Yeah- like I said, I've replenished with gear oil and will continue to do so for awhile- hopefully it may slow it down but not expecting a miracle there. Had it out a few miles yesterday- still shifting good.

Clean it up as I can and keep an eye on it is the current plan I guess.
                  Oh, I missed the gear oil part. If that doesn't slow it down, there is definitely a problem!
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I got some more gear oil at Wally World- extra heavy 85-140, (under $5, the cheapest place) and partly because it's now about 1 part Pennzoil synco-mesh and two parts regular weight gear oil- what is that? about 80-90 sae or something? I also got some Barrs stop leak I'll add just some to the mix when I have to refill it- not the whole 11 ounces. That was less than $4.

I'll be going out to make sure the top apparatus and plate are secured down as seen in the other thread up here now-
                    and I'll probably try to check it at least once a month- I figured out that it was leaking approximately .02 oz a day since last summer, when I checked it once a week or so, and it didn't seem to drop any I could see- got tired of checking it after the Hurricane and then in the Fall, and was a little surprised it was down that much again. It's maybe about half an ounce a month then, but I'll probably be driving more miles in the summer again. I guess it could get worse, but I'll be keeping tabs on it as best as I can- it'll be getting hot here soon again, and I've had a lot of fire ants in my yard that are murder, although I have some stuff to kill them now-

Jacksonville Beach 7/15/2016, Before the Hurricane and flood in early October

most of the similar walkways were washed away, and the dunes all washed out to sea- they're still in recovery
                    Last edited by harpon; 04-02-2017, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X