Replacing bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing bushings

Ok so I'm not real savvy with part numbers/names can anyone help me with these. Never mind the dirt and oil, cleaning all this today

Front engine mounts perished maybe all others too, worth replacing?

This joint has about 3 to 4mm of play.
    Worth replacing bushings or do you have to buy this as a whole?

As you can see, bushing is non existing. Crucial or nah?

Are there any others I should check?
    I've just had Cv joints and lca/ball joints/bushings replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cv shafts are leaking like mad. But they were just replaced two weeks ago.

Comment

The top picture is the front trans mount. It looks like the rubber is cracked, hard for me to tell from the picture. There is another mount on the rear of the trans and also one on the passenger side of the engine. Seeing that the car is well over 20 years old if the mounts look like they are original I would replace them. It is not difficult and they are not expensive. The next picture is the joint where the shifter rod connects to the transmission. I am sure there is a replaceable bushing there. I think I have seen them for sale here on the forum. The last 2 pictures are of the transmission stabilizer rod. It definitley needs a bushing. Again I have seen them offered here on the forum for sale. It's an easy fix. They are all easy (although very dirty) repairs. Good luck!
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
        The top picture is the front trans mount. It looks like the rubber is cracked, hard for me to tell from the picture. There is another mount on the rear of the trans and also one on the passenger side of the engine. Seeing that the car is well over 20 years old if the mounts look like they are original I would replace them. It is not difficult and they are not expensive. The next picture is the joint where the shifter rod connects to the transmission. I am sure there is a replaceable bushing there. I think I have seen them for sale here on the forum. The last 2 pictures are of the transmission stabilizer rod. It definitley needs a bushing. Again I have seen them offered here on the forum for sale. It's an easy fix. They are all easy (although very dirty) repairs. Good luck!
        Thanks rick, IIRC advanceddynamics had a mod for the shift linkage bushings. But that was for the gear stick end. I wonder if I could use the same setup for that. I will keep searching for part numbers

Comment

If you get a knocking sound when stopping or starting you might want to look at the stabilizer bar bushings at the front and at the steering knuckles. Also can stick a pry bar between the stabilizer bar and the frame and lean on it to check for play. Good technique for other bushings too.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalan View Post
            Thanks rick, IIRC advanceddynamics had a mod for the shift linkage bushings. But that was for the gear stick end. I wonder if I could use the same setup for that. I will keep searching for part numbers.
            Actually that mod was for all the shifter bushings, not just the rear ones.

One of the front joints is a "non-repairable joint", i.e. that joint doesn't just unscrew like the other one, and like the one just under the shifter. Still repairable though, and definitely worth doing them all. But you will get plenty of benefit if you do only the two (one rear and one front) that are easy to do. You can take up the side-to-side play in the non-repairable joint with a tiny zip-tie, paper clip, etc, if you don't want to bother with taking it apart.

If you go the easy route and just replace the stock worn-out bushing with new stock bushings, they are available at Mazda, Ford and Kia dealers. They may require you to buy a whole bag of 10 if it's a special-order item, i.e. they don't carry them in stock; you will then have extras or can do another car. Miata, 323, Protege, Festiva, Aspire, Rio, etc etc all used the same bushings.

The rear ones, under the shifter, tend to wear out faster in my experience. I have seen worn-out rears with good fronts. Probably this is because the rear ones move in more directions, or farther, than the front ones need to.
            Last edited by TominMO; 04-01-2017, 08:11 AM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
              If you get a knocking sound when stopping or starting you might want to look at the stabilizer bar bushings at the front and at the steering knuckles. Also can stick a pry bar between the stabilizer bar and the frame and lean on it to check for play. Good technique for other bushings too.
              Yeah the stabiliser bushing at the front is completely shot. So much so that it just rattles around. I suspect the leaking trans sped up the bushing failure

Comment

The rear motor mount, close to firewall was shot on my 92. When I stepped on the gas or backed off, the car would veer around. I replaced all the motor mounts. But, I was younger then.

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                  The rear motor mount, close to firewall was shot on my 92. When I stepped on the gas or backed off, the car would veer around. I replaced all the motor mounts. But, I was younger then.
                  Unless I am mistaken (never been known to happen yet), we were all younger in 1992.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    Unless I am mistaken (never been known to happen yet), we were all younger in 1992.

I wasn't even born then. [emoji38]

Comment

Working...
                    X