Dead engine. Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead engine. Options?

I have a 1993 Festiva GL that the mechanic c has said the engine has reached the end. My mother in law drove it in town from 1993 to 2005 never going above 45mph. It had oil changes Q3 months and tune up Q2 years. I started using it as a intercity commuter. It had about 55k miles then and now is about 85k miles. Engine started leaking oil. PC valve was replaced and gaskets were replaced. Still leaking and the mechanic stated that the pic valve could not keep up with the engine.

My query is what to do. Can it be repaired or would it be more efficient to replace the engine and if that is the case. What engine should I replace it with. I have seen some commentary about a Mazda b6 or stock engines. I would like a little more power as it is sluggish on the hills and highway speeds is difficult for long duration of times and I have to commute 150 miles a day for nursing school.

Limited income so can't afford new car and drivng my truck is not fuel efficient. Thanks for all advice

Is the car burning oil at all, or just leaking it?

I can't see the engine being worn out at 85k mile unless it was idled like a cop car. That or was extremely neglected.
    These engine normally last past 300k miles EASY.

I think you need to go to another mechanic and get a second opinion.
    Because what it sound like to me, is you have a very bad mechanic who can't change simple seals properly, and won't own up to it by blaming the engine so he doesn't have to do it again for free. Or he never changed the seals and took your money, then blamed the engine.
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 04-06-2017, 05:49 AM.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Try gathering some simple information like vacuum, compression, inspect spark plugs for fouling. Then decide if engine is worn out.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Compression test, vacuum test, leak down test, verify mechanical timing.

It's quite possible that rings are stuck, which is an easy repair provided they can be removed without breaking. You want to do everything you can to reuse the stock rings.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Could try running a cleaner in the oil, we use Penray stock number 7512 with good success.
          No car too fast !

Comment

Could you be more specific about the "leaking oil"? Did the mechanic say where it is leaking oil?
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post

I can't see the engine being worn out at 85k mile unless it was idled like a cop car. That or was extremely neglected.

Because what it sound like to me, is you have a very bad mechanic who can't change simple seals properly, and won't own up to it by blaming the engine so he doesn't have to do it again for free. Or he never changed the seals and took your money, then blamed the engine.
              Could be poor communication going from mechanic to guy at fromt counter to her to us...
              I would hazard a guess from her saying the pvc valve cant keep up with the oil that it has excessive blowby.
              From the maintinance schedule you mentioned i doubt it though.

Fixing this car is cheaper than 2 weeks of gas on your truck im sure.

Where do you live? Perhaps a local member would be willing to have a look at it. Shouldnt take much time for someone who knows these engines to tell you more clearly whats wrong and what the best fix is.

Car sounds like it was low on power, mine has no problem on the highway.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

You have put 30K road miles on the engine after it was initially subjected to probably a lot of short trips in a cold winter climate.
                Here is a interesting article about what goes on in the engine and could explain a little about the problem you seem to be having now.
                http://autos.winnipegfreepress.com/n...trips/id-5823/

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post

I second that. Something would need to be VERY wrong for a leak to reoccur immediately after replacing the gaskets.
                  How mechanically inclined are you? If you don't have a problem getting your hands dirty, you should be able to follow a step-by-step on here and have your car running good as new with little more than just a set of basic wrenches and sockets.
                  A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
                  Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Mechanic has worked on several cars for me in the past and has never mistreated customers. He has pulled the gaskets and seas, showed where the damage to the gaskets were, and anded them over when the engine was put back together.

my mother inlaw was not super good about maintanence other than getting oil changed. I did the first spark plug change on it when i started driving it. i asked her what tune ups she had done and she said she had the tires rotated and snow studs put on, and that was it.... she had recipts form les schwab she had no mechanic receipts for engine work...Its hard to say what she had done... or didnt have done. I have had it to a 2nd mechanic and they wanted to charge 150 to run a diagnostics on it and check it out....not something i can afford out of pocket

Comment

I live in Kalispell Montana

i dont mind getting dirty, but am not as mechanically inclined. the mechanic spoke with me. I had picutes of the top of the engine and fron covered in leakage., will take what help i can....not my element here.

Comment

Unfortunately, without a baseline of the condition of the engine, any "repairs" will be a shot in the dark. Find a friend or local member who can do a compression test. Take and post pics of the problem areas that you need/want addressed. There are several of us here who can walk you through nearly any repair.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

A compression guage and a vacuum guage will cost less than a trip to the local garage and will last a lifetime. You can also search for used ones on local buy-and-sell websites. They are easy to use and understand. There is a guide to reading a vacuum guage in a thread at the top of this forum. Same with a Festiva repair manual, ie the cost is recouped several times in savings on repairs although you might want to wait until you decide you will keep the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                          X