Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge cluster

The black covering is like stuck at the top what do I do

There's 3 screws going upward, if those are out just pull there's clips.

Comment

First remove the steering column cover by removing the screws from underneath, snap it apart and remove the bottom and top pieces of the cover.
      Make sure you have removed all 3 screws a the top and the two at the bottom of the instrument bezel.
      Once you have done that you should be able to pull the bezel toward you easily. If it has never been removed it may have a piece of tape a the top but it should pull apart easily.
      You will then have to reach behind the bezel and disconnect the wires to the switches in the bezel so you can remove it completely.
      Last edited by 1990new; 04-07-2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Just pull hard. There are tabs on the upper part of the bezel with the hook part upward. Just pull evenly and they'll snap out. From the FSM:
        IMG_0328.jpg

P.S. Don't remove the steering wheel.
        Last edited by RobotKarate; 04-07-2017, 07:01 PM.
        1999 Toyota 4Runner - daily beater
        1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD
        1986 Toyota Cressida - #stressida hmmmmmm SOLD!!

Comment

Why

Comment

Why not?
            1999 Toyota 4Runner - daily beater
            1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD
            1986 Toyota Cressida - #stressida hmmmmmm SOLD!!

Comment

It's not necessary to remove the steering wheel, but you do want to remove the top column cover. Once the bezel is loose, it takes just a little wiggling to take it out the passenger side.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I got the black thing off now what bout the cluster

Comment

4 screws, the speedo cable, and 2 multi pin connectors. For the first time removing, it's easier to take a 19mm stubby open end wrench to the top of the speedo gear assembly at the trans, then remove the 4 screws at the cluster and gently pull out till you can reach behind and undo the connectors and cable connector.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

These photos might help visualize what's going on. They're for the speedometer but include taking out the dashboard guage panel. It's for an '89 so the location of the screws is different from later models. Hope it helps....
                    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                    X