No announcement yet.

Any help with vacuum issue appreciated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any help with vacuum issue appreciated.

I don't even know where to start with this carbed 88 on how to check where my problem is. When I put the vacuum gauge on the top vacuum tube on the distributor it does not even register. When I place it on the bottom tube on same distributor spot I get a good reading but that is backwards. I traced those two hoses and they are connected where they should be. Any ideas? Plus every time when I first start the car it immediately idles super high. I have to punch the gas pedal to slow her down every time. I tried spraying everything down good with carb spray put still doing it.
    Last edited by jimdigs; 04-09-2017, 12:52 AM.

I'd check to see if the top hose is plugged by trying to blow through it. I don't know enough about my carburetor to offer expert advice. Maybe a search of the Internet on diagnosing carburettor vacuum advance or maybe refine the search to feedback carburettors. I'd also shine a lignt down inside the carburettor to see if anything got dropped inside. Whenever I remove the air filtre cover I put a rag over the opening to help insure that doesn't happen.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Does this help? This tag. The other tag shows the vacuum diagram I can't follow that though, wish they stated the color codes of the lines as they are in the engine.
      Attached Files

Comment

So for the heck of it I thought I would swap the top and bottom vacuum lines that go to the distributor and now I get the proper reading on my gage from the top line? Even though the lines go where they are supposed to. Plus now when I start the car it does not idle high either. Wonder if this was the problem? I took it for a drive and it ran fine. I'm going to leave it this way and see what happens. Strange. Hey WmWatt, is your top vacuum line on the top dist. line color coded red? Cuz now that I flipped them the top one is red.

Comment

Well, I thought the engine revving high was fixed but started it this a.m. and soon as I turned the key over it was revving like a mad dog. Oh well.

Comment

It's your choke set that's it issue, for summer, I would lock it out with a light weight spring.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I get the revving from time to time. Never sat down to figure out why. I tap the gas pedal with my foot and it comes down.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yup, that's it (the choke).
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ok, thanks. Mine happens every time.

Comment

Working...
                  X