No announcement yet.

Engine Vibration 1991 B6D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Rick! It'll be after days before I get it back together. I will pull the trans next week some time.

Can the car be started without the flywheel for inspection purposes?

Comment

Not recommended. The weight of the flywheel smooths the pulses of the power strokes.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Haha! Kind of what I was thinking too. Let's just pretend I didn't post that! That was recommended to me by a aircraft mechanic. :-/. Maybe I could install a Kickstarter to start it without the flywheel. ROFL
        Last edited by Skrapbob; 06-02-2017, 11:59 AM.

Comment

It would be kind of hard with the flywheel gone, you know the starter needs something to grab onto. lol
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

If you could peek at the flywheel while the engine is running you might be able to see if it's running true. I've worked on bicycle wheels adjusting spoke tension to remove wobble. Normally done by mounting the wheel on a truing stand but I also often do it just by watching the gap between the rim and a brake pad while it's spinning on the bike.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Flywheel run-out is usually checked with a dial indicator.
              No car too fast !

Comment

Correct, and it should sit under .002" total at the lip.

Oh and while you're in there, check the crank end play.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Gonna be a few days before I can button up the right side of the engine.

Are you saying the flywheel can be checked for run-out without pulling the trans?

Comment

Yes, but you need to preload the crank end play so that doesn't factor into your measurements.

Comment

Working...
                    X