Trying to be a good daughter: Father with dead Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to be a good daughter: Father with dead Festiva

Hello, I'm hoping you can help me. I'm trying to be a good daughter, posting for my 74 year-old father who loves his Ford Festiva.

A week ago, he attempted to start the car. It had been sitting for 11 days. It turned over and then died. He purchased a new battery assuming that was the issue.

As I understand it, the battery he purchased had posts that were too far from the wires. He then attempted to force it, I gather there were at least a few sparks. After connecting it, the car would not turn over and the fuse box started smoking.

He theorized that he had blown a fuse, so he attempted to strong-arm that as well. He told me that he managed to "pretty much demolish" the fuse box under the hood while trying to disconnect the fusable link wires. He then replaced the fusable link and the car wouldn't start.

Believing that he had blown something in the fuse box itself, he "installed the new fuse box and then put the new battery back in. No change. Still have lights, but no other function in the car."

Do you have any thoughts on what might be wrong at this point (besides my father strong-arming parts in frustration)?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Rebecca

Sorry to hear that.
    Could we have a photo of how the fusebox looks now and the battery? The wires are connected to the correct positive and negative terminals?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Dont want to get too far ahead here but the fuseable links are most likely damaged. The wire inside the cloth/paper feeling stuff is easily burnt or broken without the cloth breaking. There can be continuity between the 2 sides but not enough to power anything when a load is drawn. So get some new ones. They look like this

But that doesnt solve the problem of why they burnt in the first place. It would be a good start though. Do you have a miltimeter?

Comment

Sparks and burnt fuse box while hooking up a battery sounds like he may have hooked the battery up backwards. There may be quite a bit of damage to the electronics if that is the case.
        Rick
        1993 Ford Festiva
        1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
        1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
        2000 Ford E350

Comment

Agreed.
          Let's start with a few pix if the area/damage.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

On the carburetted model the battery post with the "-" on it goes at the front nearest the headlights. The battery post with the"+" on it goes at the back nearest the driver.
            Last edited by WmWatt; 04-26-2017, 06:14 PM.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I have never understood why they used fusible links instead of normal fuses.

THIS can be easily modified, and you can in fact use "SELF RESETTING" fuses (like from an RV) in place of them

*A "SELF RESETTER" is a "BREAKER" that will "OPEN" when the ampere rating is too high. After it cools down, it resets
              Last edited by Greywolf; 05-03-2017, 08:32 PM.
              Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Originally posted by Greywolf View Post
                I have never understood why they used fusible links instead of normal fuses.
                Slow blow. Allows overcurrent for a short amount of time.

Comment

So do resetters

But you don't have to replace them

PS: Your "SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk" talks too much about itself - don't you hate that?
                  ***sssnnnikkkerrrezzz***

I hate products that insist on advertising themselves, and won't tolerate them

You BLOW SOMEBODIES DOORS OFF with a BMW or a MERCEDES and it doesn't flash a message on the tailgate that says:
                  "YOU JUST GOT PASSED BY THIS"

~They don't have to, they are a superior product!

:laughing6:
                  Last edited by Greywolf; 05-03-2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

So do resetters

But you don't have to replace them

PS: Your "SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk" talks too much about itself - don't you hate that?
                    ***sssnnnikkkerrrezzz***

I hate products that insist on advertising themselves, and won't tolerate them

You BLOW SOMEBODIES DOORS OFF with a BMW or a MERCEDES and it doesn't flash a message on the tailgate that says:
                    "YOU JUST GOT PASSED BY THIS"

~They don't have to, they are a superior product!

:laughing6:
                    You mean self resetting circut breakers? Theres a reason they dont use those....

Ya, i know, its stupid. I changed it on my previous 2 phones but havent bothered on this one yet.
                    Have you seen how large of letters ford uses on some of their models? Lol

Comment

***sssnnnikkkerrrezzz***

Yeah, that is the stock signature, but you can go in and delete it or change it easily enough. I hate it as well.
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Okay - BACK ON TOPIC - and it's been a while, I hope we haven't lost them by me being a smartass...
                        (APRIL isn't so long ago...)

We should continue the discussion anyway, since it could help anybody in that situation.

First move for me would have been to go back to the parts store and got a battery that fits. (! :angry4

We still don't have pics of the inside of the car. I think we can assume the fusible links are no longer links...

Me personally, the first thing I would do is check the positive cable to ground and see if there are any shorts that can be found
                        Last edited by Greywolf; 05-07-2017, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Hello, all. Thanks for your patience. My dad lives a few hundred miles away and, of course, has no cell phone, so I finally got some pictures, as requested. Please don't hesitate if you have any suggestions.

Best,

R..
                          20170426_201417.jpg20170426_201427.jpg20170426_201439.jpg20170426_201452.jpg

Comment

WoW, fusible links are done.
                            When you replace those with the modern push in fuses, be sure to get the deep ones, the more comon shallow ones only fit on a little bit and cause me to go nuts till I figured out what I had done wrong...

Can someone add which amp ratings should go in?

There may be fuse holder damage, but try this first.
                            Last edited by Dragonhealer; 05-15-2017, 12:37 PM.
                            No car too fast !

Comment

30,40,30 amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
                              “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Working...
                              X