Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 Carby Fuel pump installation ??

Hello
    I was unable to be there when my fuel pump was removed to replace a broken off bolt( bolt is now extracted)....I was, however, given the opportunity to re-install with only a guess as to what order things go back together.
    First question.... there is a white-ish rubber-ish gasket/seal of sorts that is the same size as the paper gasket or gaskets( could be two of those paper kind...but no idea what order it all came off.) Funny thing is I have been looking up all of the replacement parts and nowhere have i found the rubber gasket/seal. Anyone know if it fits inside the pump....possibly? I do not remember seeing it before from the outside. It seems to be in good condition so I most likely can re-use it. So Any help with the order that it all goes back together would be great.....I know, I know.....shop manual, but I havent found one for the 88 carby,.....yet.

Second question ....How many paper gaskets are to be used and where?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to give here

2 gaskets sandwiching a spacer. The spacer must be present or the pump will fail.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I am assuming the rubber thing is the spacer?

Comment

I don't recall mine ever being rubber like.ine were always hard so as not to compress when the bolts are torqued.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Yes, this is harder than rubber. Is it suppose to fit inside the lip of the pump? Or should i be able to see it compressed between both metal surfaces? I thought i remembered seeing metal to metal and no spacer, but I could be wrong......and I dont want to have the pump fail, so.............AND thanks again for all your help.

Comment

Spacer will be visible. It sits flush with the head and pump.

Comment

Finally a thread I can contribute to - I went through this last week and took photos!

Spacer (~4mm) and gasket (there are 2 gaskets just as FestYboy said)

This is the part I used.

Fitted ready for install. Plenty of gasket sealant used.

I did some searching on eBay and ironically the only parts I found are in Australia, but they ship to USA, the cheapest one I've linked below. Hope this helps!

eBay, $14 USD shipped
              Last edited by Click_It; 05-09-2017, 04:45 AM. Reason: Added ebay link
              200,000KM milestone!

Comment

^^nice photo detail
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

my pump from autozone had all of the parts new.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                    ^^nice photo detail
                    Thanks I try to take photos of all the work I do, I was never expecting these ones to be useful anytime soon though

Originally posted by fitsbain View Post
                    my pump from autozone had all of the parts new.
                    Yeah mine did too. I bought the parts not realising this at the time. I have spares I could send him, he may save a few bucks. I paid $15 for mine (ripped off) but I could send them free, he just pay for shipping. Wighty let me know if you're interested. I was going to keep them as spares but can't see me needing them.
                    200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Thanks guys......I was able to re-use the old one with new gaskets....sealer and I have my festy back. ..it is a very satisfying feeling to have that little zippy car running nicely again.

Comment

Hey good to hear you got it sorted, extra good news because I can't find that spare set of gaskets+spacer I mentioned
                        200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Working...
                        X