cv will not come out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cv will not come out

ok so i have been redoing my clutch and could not get the cv out when underneath car took apart took out transmission and this thing is still not moving have used pry bar and mallet for forcing it out have tried pushing it out from the oppisite side it is located on the driver side and i just dont know what to do

Take 3 chisels and gently tap them under the edges on opposite sides. But do not go on center. Put them just far enough under the tripod to catch
    Last edited by fastivaB6TG25MR; 05-10-2017, 05:12 PM.
    I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Like thisIMG_20170510_151058.jpg
      I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

I had the same issue and not matter what I did, I couldn't get it to come out. My ex Ford mechanic brother in law even gave me a tool that is notched to fit around the differential pin to knock it out and that didn't work. I wound up having to do this: https://fordfestiva.com/forums/showt...l=1#post712231
        Rick
        1993 Ford Festiva
        1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
        1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
        2000 Ford E350

Comment

One thing to take note of is that if you buy remanufactured axles, check the lock clips to make sure you ONLY use rounded edge clips. Most of the replacements they use squared edge clips which will not release when you go to pull the axle. I know this doesn't help you getting this axle out this time, but I went down that road and made that mistake once. Almost broke the case getting that axle out, did destroy the seal. I used a 5 pound loaner slide hammer type axle puller to get mine out after trying all sorts of ways.
          Have owned 9 so far
          White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
          Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
          Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
          Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
          Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Just to be sure.. you did try turning the half shaft to a different position. When the open part of the circlip is at the bottom, there can be less resistance to compressing it as you try to pull it out. I've tried this before and it has worked for me. But if the circlip has bitten into the shaft and is wedged in so it cannot turn freely, that's another story.

Comment

Take a peace or 3/8 all thread and screw it into a pare of vice grips slide a pipe over and add a nut big flat washer and another nut on the end for a stop .
              Now clamp that to the cv cup and slide hammer it out of there .
              I've got pictures of it somewhere but can't find it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I would suggest doing a search and read about ringing the bell technique to pop it out.
                Whatever you do, make certain that you only remove one transaxle at a time.
                Otherwise the gear in the transmission will fall down.

Comment

Common problem reported here many times over the years. Tapping and rotating while puiilng on axle seems to work best to line up the circlip which prevents the axle from falling out of the transmission. Mine have come out from just rotating and tugging, one foot on the transmission for leverage. Good luck.
                  Last edited by WmWatt; 05-11-2017, 06:05 AM.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                  X