Erratic idle after fillup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erratic idle after fillup

Today I filled Trixie's gas tank, the first time since last October. After the fill up, I drove her about 10 miles on the interstate at 65 and then about 6 miles at 35 to 40 until I got home. After a couple of hours I drove her again at about 35 to 40 for another 5 miles with no problem. Then as I was about 3 miles from home I notice that she was hesitating occasionally as I maintained about 35. When I got home, I let her idle. As she idled the rpm would suddenly drop, the check engine light would come on and then she would go back to normal idle and the check engine light would go off. This repeated for about 3 times and then she died. Started back up ok but as I let her idle again the same thing kept happening.

My guess is that she had been sitting a long time with only a couple of gallons of gas in the tank and over the months, condensation resulted in water getting in her tank.

What do you thing? Any other ideas or suggestions?

Typical thing that happens with our gas of today with ethanol. Shtinky went through the same thing for about three tanks after sitting so much with the same erratic idle to the point he would even stall until the gunk worked through the tank.
    Have owned 9 so far
    White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
    Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
    Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
    Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
    Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Shell. I remember this one. I had a carbed Malibu with no sensors or computers. It still ran like a dog for a while.

Pure Gas
      Last edited by bravekozak; 05-21-2017, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X